Anonymous News Tip Line
Crikey offers several ways to securely send information and documents to Crikey journalists. No digital system is 100% secure, but these options below attempt to create a more secure channel than that provided by normal communication systems. Please review these options below before using them so you can choose the best tool for your communication needs. In addition to using one of these tools, we recommend that you:
- Use a secure computer to communicate with us—one that is not managed by your employer and does not have any malware that might be used to record your activities.
- Make sure the computer you use is not in front of any public surveillance cameras.
- When using a computer, use an operating system and browser that helps preserve your privacy and anonymity, we recommend using Tails operating system and Tor Browser;
- Delete trails of communication that you store on your computer, such as copies of messages or your secure codename assigned when using the service;
- Run any files you send to us through a metadata-scrubbing tool to minimize the risk of unintentionally sending us information embedded in the documents, such as an author’s name
This is a free, end-to-end encrypted messaging app, which allows you to communicate directly with Crikey. You can:
- send text messages, images and video.
- talk securely with a reporter by calling them via the Signal app
No metadata is retained by Signal. It can be configured to delete messages automatically at a designated time interval.
Crikey’s Signal phone number: 0472 729 290
This is a free messaging app with end-to-end encryption that also allows:
- the transfer of documents, photos and videos.
- to make secure phone calls.
It is owned by Facebook. Some data is retained by WhatsApp.
Crikey’s WhatsApp phone number:0472 729 290
Postal Mail Crikey Office
You can drop a letter or package in the mail to reporters at Crikey. To maintain anonymity, it is recommended that you use a mailbox rather than going into a post office.
Level 6, 22 William St, Melbourne, 3000 Australia