This week gave us yet more far-right flirtation from the fringes of government, a remarkable non-story around a certain former premier running in Tony Abbott’s old seat, and the kick-off of the Ashes Test series. But how closely were you paying attention? Play our weekly news quiz below — and check your answers further down.
1. Which conspiracy theorist did George Christensen have a chummy chat with this week?
- Alex Jones
- David Icke
- Tim Robertson
2. Who gave a grovelling apology to the South Sudanese community this week?
- Peter Dutton
- Peta Credlin
- Andrew Bolt
- Michael Daley
3. Which columnist for The Australian was reputedly represented in pinata form at a party held by a “grizzled right-wing media figure” this week?
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
- Adam Creighton
- Greg Sheridan
- Janet Albrechtsen
4. Which former NSW premier was encouraged to fight for Tony Abbott’s old seat of Warringah?
- Barry O’Farrell
- Nick Greiner
- Gladys Berejiklian
5. Which former Liberal minister wrote in Crikey this week that they were switching their vote to independent at the next election?
- Malcolm Turnbull
- Julie Bishop
- Ian Macphee
- Christopher Pyne
6. Who is the longest-serving woman in the House of Representatives?
- Tanya Plibersek
- Fiona Martin
- Nicolle Flint
- Lisa Chesters
7. Which city’s border policy cost it the chance to host an Ashes Test?
8. On whose show did ACT Senator Alex Antic appear this week?
- Steve Bannon
- Nick Fuentes
- Stefan Molyneux
9. Which premier was subject to a scathing report by the state ombudsman this week?
- Mark McGowan
- Daniel Andrews
- Dominic Perrottet
- Steven Marshall
10. Which of these state party leaders said the demands of striking New South Wales teachers was too high?
- Steven Marshall
- Chris Minns
- Peter Gutwein
11. Which Australian politician contracted COVID-19 this week?
- Bridget McKenzie
- Stirling Griff
- Barnaby Joyce
- Joel Fitzgibbon
1. Alex Jones
Via Crikey: “George Christensen’s continued embrace of increasingly extreme and fringe ideas has tightened even further with an appearance on a show hosted by one of the world’s most prominent conspiracy theorists, Alex Jones.”
2. Peta Credlin
Via Crikey: “And despite welcoming the actions of the South Sudanese complainants to the Human Rights Commission that led to Peta Credlin’s apology, I wonder: would Sky News have apologised if the South Sudanese, as Credlin falsely thought, were dominantly Muslims?”
3. Greg Sheridan
Via Crikey: “At the birthday party of which grizzled veteran of Australian right-wing politics at the weekend was the best gift — from another grizzled veteran of Australian right-wing politics — a Greg Sheridan piñata?”
4. Gladys Berejiklian
Via Crikey: “Scott Morrison is desperate to draft former NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian as the Liberal Party’s star candidate to win back the blue-ribbon seat of Warringah.”
5. Ian Macphee
Via Crikey: “Ian Macphee was the Liberal member for Goldstein for 16 years. But next year he’ll be casting his ballot for an independent who he says ‘will do all that she can to return our federal Parliament to a democratic institution’.”
6. Tanya Plibersek
Via Crikey: “Plibersek has become Australia’s longest-serving woman in the House of Reps, The Daily Telegraph reports, after 23 years in office.”
Via Crikey: “Perth will no longer host the lucrative Ashes Test, Cricket Australia confirmed, after a stalemate over WA’s hardline border stance.”
8. Steve Bannon
Via Crikey: “Christensen, for his part, posted praise of fellow cooker Senator Alex Antic appearing on Steve Bannon’s show…“
9. Daniel Andrews
Via Crikey: “The Victorian ombudsman’s report on the Andrews government’s border closure earlier this year contains the stuff of cruel nightmares for the Victorians forced into a Kafkaesque process in which they were denied the ability to return home.”
10. Chris Minns
Via 2GB: “When pressed… NSW Opposition Leader Chris Minns confirmed a Labor government ‘certainly can’t commit to a pay increase that high’. ‘I want to make this clear … we wouldn’t respond to agreeing to the log of claims from the Teachers Federation.’ ”
11. Barnaby Joyce
Via Crikey: “Elsewhere in the malfunctioning clown car that is the National Party, leader Barnaby Joyce has only gone and got COVID during his US trip.”