Oct 20, 2017

Michaelia Cash’s jobs figures don’t add up

The Employment Minister tends to boast impressive figures in her monthly report on jobs growth, but just a little digging turns up a lot of fool's gold.

Alan Austin — Freelance journalist

Alan Austin

Freelance journalist

In her monthly jobs media release which has become as predictable as it is deceptive, Employment Minister Michaelia Cash boasts “Twelve months of consecutive jobs growth -- employment at record high.”

Of course jobs have grown each month. That is because the population increases each month and the economy automatically expands as a result. Even if the economy does not improve -- and provided it does not deteriorate -- then each month will show a slow and steady increase in jobs.

Free Trial

You've hit members-only content.

Sign up for a FREE 21-day trial to keep reading and get the best of Crikey straight to your inbox

By starting a free trial, you agree to accept Crikey’s terms and conditions


Leave a comment

6 thoughts on “Michaelia Cash’s jobs figures don’t add up

  1. leon knight

    Cash…the grinning liar…..

  2. Joe McLean

    The reason I subscribe to Crikey is this sort of digging behind the media release or orchestrated media conference. Keep up the good work and more power to your arm. The comments we have heard this year about the sustained lack of wages growth makes the talking up of employment numbers ring pretty hollow even before they are put into perspective.

  3. [email protected]

    Calling a spade a spade. In work an hour a week is a sick joke as a statistic. Slave work like CDP and PaTH is just that, slavery. Cash deserves to be exposed, as her union bashing destroys the economy, and hope.

  4. Johnboy Halyucinations

    I know Alan prefers to work with the ABS stats because he is using the government’s own stats against them. I have always preferred Roy Morgan’s statistical methodology which disagrees with the ABS for clearly articulated reasons. (Read them for yourself). It states unemployment for August was 10.2% (1.324 million). Also, 1.241 million Australians were under-employed in August (9.5% of the workforce). A total of 2.565 million Australians (19.7% of the workforce) looking for work. I believe the stats for September have come out but I had these stats quickly on hand from researching it earlier. While the numbers move up and down marginally, it has been this way for a long while. The government is doing little to improve Jobs and Growth as they claimed they were the party of. As Alan says, the only real currency in work is part-time work and even that is hard to find, given the competition for jobs the under and unemployed numbers represent. Keeping these people below the poverty line in this country with the pathetic welfare assistance offerered is not going to build the growth of this nation of the hopes for its people.

  5. steve davis

    They like massaging the figures to suit themselves.

  6. klewso

    Oh, for a Cashless economy ….

Share this article with a friend

Just fill out the fields below and we'll send your friend a link to this article along with a message from you.

Your details

Your friend's details