Journalism

Aug 6, 2014

‘I hit back and told people to get fucked’: Mike Carlton explains why he quit

Former Fairfax columnist Mike Carlton says the decision to suspend him came from Fairfax metro chief Sean Aylmer, who overruled Sydney Morning Herald editor-in-chief Darren Goodsir.

Myriam Robin — Media Reporter

Myriam Robin

Media Reporter

Former Fairfax columnist Mike Carlton says the decision to suspend him came from Fairfax business and metro publisher Sean Aylmer, who overruled Sydney Morning Herald editor-in-chief Darren Goodsir in deciding to suspend Carlton for four to six weeks after reports he had been abusive to readers in emails surfaced in The Australian.

92 comments

Leave a comment

92 thoughts on “‘I hit back and told people to get fucked’: Mike Carlton explains why he quit

  1. wilful

    I give Fairfax five years, tops.

  2. paddy

    Umm…Cough…. Perhaps Crikey could give Mike a gig?

  3. caf

    Publish the reader letters. The appropriateness of the response can’t be judged otherwise.

  4. pritu

    Any sort of criticism of Israel’s actions draws an organised, voluminous and vituperative response. Basically a form of mega-trolling. Rational discussion is obliterated by this means. Goebbels would be proud of them!

  5. JimDocker

    Have they not been reading his twitter account? He tells people to get fucked on a pretty regular basis. I sometimes disagree with Carlton, but the world is a better place for his views.

  6. Robert

    There goes my last reason to read the Saturday SMH

  7. Aton

    If you hire Mike I’ll reactivate my subscription that day!!

  8. Diane Bell

    The cartoon wasn’t anything but thought provoking. Arking up like this showed Mike’s cartoon had touched a nerve. Yes, my Fairfax subscription is looking shaky but Ross Gittins and Peter Martin help keep me sane so there is a reason to stay….
    Good luck Mike.

  9. Russell

    So it’s all a conspiracy by “the Jewish lobby” and News Ltd… Oh really? How revealing.

    Mike Carlton also couldn’t resist firing off a parting snide shot at those employers and colleagues who had employed and supported him for decades… The Herald was “a once great newspaper,” he said. So when was it “great”? Two weeks ago when it was still encouraging and paying him handsomely to take pokes at everyone he disagreed with?

    So who will employ him now? I hope not Crikey, please… Let him go to New Matilta or Green Left Weekly, who no doubt agree with his “progressive” views about Israel.

    And yes, it does sound like The Australian was stirring the stew… Well, tit for tat, Carlton regularly got stuck into News Ltd’s journalists and staff with the all the venom that is now typical of ” progressive left-wing” opinion.

    Now, when did “left wing” become so poisonous, intolerant of diverse opinion, authoritarian and quite frankly, racist?

    I’m not going to cancel my Herald sub over this. I did that a long time ago.

  10. zak lloyd

    So Fairfax it is OK for red neck readers to get stuck into Mike and call him every abusive name known, but he must not respond in kind. Well fuk you and your papers, I will stick to social media and the Independent press. We know the Torys havent got their grubby scheming lying paws all over them.

Leave a comment

Share this article with a friend

Just fill out the fields below and we'll send your friend a link to this article along with a message from you.

Your details

Your friend's details

Sending...