The Greens will need to bolster its primary vote to roughly 3% above Labor to triumph in Saturday’s byelection in Melbourne, the Greens’ key Victorian election analyst says, as its bid for a first lower house state seat hangs in the balance.

Stephen Luntz — who has conducted an in-depth investigation into likely preference flows from the Melbourne Cup-style 16-candidate field — says Labor hopeful Jennifer Kanis will benefit from flows from the Christian Right (7%) and a three-candidate block comprising African community leader Berhan Ahmed, the S-x Party and Liberal-leaning independent David Nolte (10%), for a combined windfall of around 17%.

By contrast, between 12% and 15% would flow to Greens candidate Cathy Oke from a rival libertarian-leftish bloc led by Crikey founder Stephen Mayne, and including the Democrats, the Secular Party, green-tinged independent Adrian Whitehead and public housing advocate Kate Borland.

Luntz says on average 70% of the “minor 14” will end up going to the party the candidate’s how-to-vote cards recommend, but he expects this to vary — higher for Ahmed and lower for the S-x Party.

Luntz notes that two fringe candidates — socialist candidate Patrick O’Connor and independent Gerrit Schorel-Hlavka — have not recommended preferences, and predicts their votes will split fairly evenly. The donkey vote will flow from Ahmed to Kanis, which was why he anticipates a higher than usual proportion of Ahmed’s vote finishing with Labor.

ReachTEL polling published in The Australian this morning showed Oke only 1.6 percentage points clear on 38.1%, with Kanis on 36.5% — that lead may not be enough to corral the remaining 26%. S-x Party candidate Fiona Patten was on 6.1%, followed by Mayne on 4.3%. Family First was on 3.8% — however this seems high given the party’s disappointing performances in the Fremantle and Albert Park byelections. Former Liberal voters were split evenly between the Greens and Labor tributaries.

A Roy Morgan poll last month placed the Greens on 48.5% — 11% percentage points clear of the Labor Party on 37.5%, while internal Liberal polling in late May pointed to a much closer race.

In addition, informal votes are likely to top 6% owing to the massive field and growing public disillusionment with the formal political process.

The poll — especially if the Greens can get over the line — is likely to be viewed as a referendum on Julia Gillard’s ailing prime ministership in her home state, despite the protestations of senior federal Labor figures.

Peter Fray

Support journalism that makes things better, not worse.

Rupert Murdoch had never had a US president in his pocket before Donald Trump landed there in 2016.

This week, we explored the relationship between the two men and why Murdoch should be held to account for the making of Trump.

Where do you start with dismantling the media empire that delivered us a phenomenon like Trump?

Here’s one thing you can do: Support the journalism that makes things better, not worse.

Subscribe to Crikey today with the promo code MADEMEN and get 50% off an annual membership.

Hurry, 48 hours only.

Peter Fray
Editor-in-chief of Crikey

JOIN NOW