The market is down 96. The SFE Futures were down 76 this morning.
The Dow Jones fell 156. Just when you thought the dead cat would bounce. European markets all down over 1%. Financials led the fall as the run on Greek banks continues. The ECB has temporarily suspended lending to some Greek banks. Spanish bank Bankia (recently partially nationalised) fell 25% as 1bn euro is withdrawn by customers. Spanish bond yields rose again. Fitch Ratings cut Greece’s long term credit rating to CCC from B-. Moody’s followed by downgrading 16 Spanish banks. US economic stats generally disappointing — The May Philadelphia Fed, April leading economic indicators and latest batch of weekly jobless claims numbers all below best expectations. Oil prices hit a six month low. Gold up $37. A US bond auction saw a negative yield (!)… paying for protection.
- Best and Worst performers — Here is a list of the best and worst 20 performers in the ASX 200 since May 1 — in that time the ASX 200 is down 8.29%.
- Resmed Inc (RMD) has announced they will start paying dividends next financial year. RMD is down 0.61% to 327c.
- Paladin Energy (PDN) has advised that their Malawian workforce has returned to work at their Kayelekera Mine. PDN is down 7.06% to 118.5c.
- Commonwealth Bank (CBA) says they have made emergency plans to shield the bank from potential losses should Greece exit from the euro. CBA is down 2.33% to 4984c.
- PanAust (PNA) said at their AGM yesterday that they expect to pay an interim dividend in the 2nd half of the year as they finalise a $450m capital expenditure program. PNA is down 0.73% to 273c.
For a five day FREE TRIAL of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter Click Here. You will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including:
- Overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker recommendations and ideas from Marcus and his Team.
- Our Portfolio recommendations which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly
- managed your own long term investment portfolio.
- Daily Technical Trading ideas and data, including daily scans of the ASX 300 for stocks changing trend.
- Stock Database — all the numbers with comments on the top 300 stocks and more.
- Educational section — Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles.
Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer … we have one of the highest re subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
Just when you thought the dead cat would bounce.