The market is up 14. The SFE Futures were up 9 this morning.
The Dow closed up 72 and was up 137 at best. The S&P 500 ended the day flat, while the Nasdaq was down 0.8% as Apple fell 4%. Retail sales were better than expected. European markets were higher. Metals were mixed on the LME — nickel was down 4.45% and the tin price down 3.66%. The gold price fell $10.50 to $1649.50. Oil up 61¢ to $103.61. The Australian dollar is unchanged and is buying 103.55¢. Utility stocks were the best sector up 0.95%. Financials were up 0.73%. Technology, Energy and Consumer discretionary stocks underperformed.
- Energy Resources of Aust (ERA) is up 8% in early trade after it announced yesterday plans to turn its open-pit Ranger mine into an underground operation and said the Ranger 3 Deeps underground exploration program is on target. One broker has said if Ranger 3 Deeps was to gain necessary approval the valuation of ERA is in the order twice the current share price. ERA is up 7.64% to 148c and is up from 130c two days ago.
- Telstra (TLS) says thousands of jobs may be at risk when they decommission their copper wire network on the rollout of the NBN. TLS may also announce a capital management initiative on Thursday with an investor briefing. TLS is up 0.3% to 338c.
- M2 Telecommunication’s (MTU) $192m acquisition of Primus Telecom is the largest telecoms takeover in Australia since TPG Telecom (TPM) bought PIPE Networks for $373m in 2010. The purchase is expected to strengthen MTU’s position once the NBN is rolled out. MTU is down 1.5% to 328c having fallen 4% yesterday.
- Linc Energy (LNC) was up 18% yesterday after a $120m investment by HK listed Golden Concord Holdings to acquire a 66% stake in their underground coal gasification and gas to liquids technology which is the world’s only synthetic diesel producer. LNC is down 6% to 119c.
- Aston Resources (AZT) shareholders have backed Whitehaven’s (WHC) takeover via a scheme of arrangement. The enlarged WHC will become one of the top 50 companies in Australia by market value. AZT is up 0.10% to 1024c.
- Flinders Mines (FMS) down 25% yesterday, has failed in their initial attempt to have an injunction lifted that is preventing a $558m takeover by Russia’s Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel. A full hearing of the appeal is expected to be scheduled by the end of the month. FMS is up 10.81% to 20.5c.
- Aquila (AQA) has announced an update to their JORC estimate for the Thabazimbi Iron Ore project in Limpopo in South Africa. The total resource at Meletse has increased by 43% from 47.6Mt to 67.9Mt at 61.6% Fe. AQA is down 0.2% to 507c.
- Downer EDI (DOW) has won an $85m contract for electrial work with The Victorian Comprehensive Cance Centre on a new cancer research centre in Melbourne. Construction of the hospital is due by the end of 2015. DOW is up 0.27% to 375c.
- Marcus Today has updated the Trading Section today. To see what trades have been updated sign up for a free trial at www.marcustoday.com.au.
For a five day FREE TRIAL of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter Click Here. You will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including:
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
- Overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker recommendations and ideas from Marcus and his Team.
- Our Portfolio recommendations which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly
- managed your own long term investment portfolio.
- Daily Technical Trading ideas and data, including daily scans of the ASX 300 for stocks changing trend.
- Stock Database — all the numbers with comments on the top 300 stocks and more.
- Educational section — Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles.
Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer … we have one of the highest re subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.