The market is up 27. The SFE Futures were up 2 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed down 1 on Friday. Dow up 127 at best and down 13 at worst. The Dow recorded its biggest weekly rise last week since 2009, up 7%. The early gains came on news of a fall in the US unemployment rate. The S&P 500 also closed flat as it failed to break through technical resistance near its 200-day moving average. This week is being described by some as a make or break week for Europe with the EU summit on Thursday and a Sunday Times article in the UK saying that if the debtor nations agree on budgetary measures the ECB has a 1 trillion euro “cash infusion” up its sleeve. Metals were mostly up on the LME, the oil price was up 76c to $100.96 and Gold put on $9.30 to $1749.10. The Aussie dollar fell to 102.68c from 102.38c.
- The Reserve Bank of Australia holds their monthly meeting tomorrow and decides on Interest Rates. The jury is out on whether we get a second consecutive rate cut. The 90 day bank bill rate is at 4.57% against official rates at 4.5% suggesting a rate cut is not a given.
- Whitehaven Coal (WHC) is in talks with fellow coal miner Aston Resources (AZT) regarding a potential merger of equals. Whitehaven said the discussions were incomplete and there was no guarantee that an agreement would be reached. WHC up 12c to 576c and AZT up 4.6% to 953c.
- The federal court has ruled on a class action by 34,000 claimants claiming around $50 million in compensation from ANZ Banking Group (ANZ) over penalty fees. ANZ up 15c to 2103c.
- UGL Ltd (UGL) has completed the acquisition of UK property consultancy DTZ Holdings for £77.5 million, as they move to expand their corporate property services and capture growth in China. The acquisition makes them the world’s third largest property services company with annual revenue of $5.1bn. Patersons have a BUY recommendation. UGL down 10c to 1280c.
- Aquila Resources (AQA) said the Environment Minister of WA has conditionally approved the construction of a mine and a rail line for their 5.77bn iron ore project. AQA up 3% to 661c.
- APN News & Media (APN) expects a FY net profit of between $75m and $77m, slightly below what the market was expecting. EBIT is expected to come in between $171m – $173m. APN up 1% to 75c.
- Consumer prices fell 0.1% in November, after a 0.1% rise in October and September according to the TD Securities-Melbourne Institute inflation gauge. In the year to November, the consumer prices rose 2.1%, compared with 2.6% in the 12 months to October.
- The AIG /CBA Performance of Services Index (PSI) fell 1.1 points to 47.7 points in November as Australia’s service sector continued to contract
For a free 5 day obligation FREE TRIAL of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter Click Here. You will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including:
- Overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker recommendations and ideas from Marcus and his Team.
- Our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio. It includes Income Portfolio recommendations.
- Daily Technical Trading ideas and data, including daily scans of the ASX 300 for stocks changing trend.
- Stock Database — all the numbers with comments on the top 300 stocks and more.
- Educational section — Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles.
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer…we have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.