The market is down 37. The SFE Futures were down 24 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed down 54 overnight. Dow up 78 at best and down 60 at worst. S&P 500 closed lower for a fifth straight day, down 0.4% and under the 1200 support level. The IMF said they would offer a new credit-line program for nations at risk from the euro zone debt crisis. Spain’s short term borrowing costs doubled as they auctioned three month bills at 5.11% up from 2.29% just a month ago. US 3rd quarter GDP was revised down from 2.5% to 2.0% in the 2nd estimate. That is still up from 1.3% in the 2nd quarter, but below the consensus of 2.5%. Metals were mostly up on the LME, the oil price fell 95c to $97.87, Gold prices were up $22.10 at $1700.70. The Aussie dollar fell to 98.33c from 98.56c. It’s a holiday in Japan today.
- Stockland Group (SGP) has re-affirmed their FY guidance at their investor day despite soft sales in the first 2 months of the financial year. Patersons recently downgraded their recommendation to Hold from Buy on growing caution on the residential market. SGP up 1.5% to 315c.
- Gryphon Minerals (GRY) has raised $58.5m through issuing new shares at 130c each and intends to use the funds to push forward their Banfora gold project in Burkina Faso. GRY down 11% to 133c.
- Flinders Mines (FMS) is in a trading halt. There was talk overnight that Russian steelmaker OAO Magnitogorsk Iron & Steel Works is considering buying into the company. FMS last traded at 16.5c.
- JP Morgan has cut their price targets for iron-ore producers after cutting forecasts for the commodity over the next 5 years. They cut RIO’s target price to $92 from $105 and BHP’s target price to $51 from $55. BHP down 50c to 3510c and RIO down 87c to 6363c.
- BlueScope Steel (BSL) yesterday announced a $600m capital raising in order to pay down debt. They have undertaken a fully underwritten 4-for-5 accelerated renounceable entitlement offer at 40c — a 34% discount to BSL’s closing share price. Analysts weren’t complimentary this morning with most of them downgrading their target price on the stock. BSL still in a trading halt at 61c.
- IOOF Holdings Limited (IFL) down 9% this morning on its AGM and lower 1st half guidance on the back of falls in global stock markets. H1 profit to fall 16% YonY.
- Murchison Metals (MMX) said they have continued to negotiate the possible sale of their stakes in the a planned $5.94bn rail and port system and a $3.7bn project to expand an iron ore mining operation. MMX unchanged at 27.5c.
- We are waiting on HSBC’s preliminary China PMI report today.
For a free 5 day obligation FREE TRIAL of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter Click Here. You will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including:
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
- Overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker recommendations and ideas from Marcus and his Team.
- Our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio. It includes Income Portfolio recommendations.
- Daily Technical Trading ideas and data, including daily scans of the ASX 300 for stocks changing trend.
- Stock Database – all the numbers with comments on the top 300 stocks and more.
- Educational section – Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles.
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer…we have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.