The market is up 80. The SFE Futures were up 41 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed up 125 on Friday and ended the week down 1.5% with moves during the week of -635, +430, -519, +423, and +125. France, Spain, Italy and Belgium all announced short-selling bans intended to calm volatility. The World Bank said the global economy is in “a new danger zone”. On the economic front, consumer sentiment came in well below expectations – it is now at its worst level in over 30 years. The oil price was down 34c to $85.38 and gold fell $8.90 to $1741. The A$ is buying 104.20c up from 103.09c on Friday.
In the news today…
- Newcrest Mining (NCM) full year profit increased 63% to $908m and revenue increased 46%. Underlying profit (excluding one-off and accounting items) came in at $1.06bn, slightly better than the $1.05bn analysts expected. They declared a final dividend of 20c a share and a special dividend of 20c, analysts were expecting a 24c final dividend. NCM down 1.8% to 3999c.
- Ansell (ANN) reported that full year profit was up 2.8% to $122.7m – consensus was for $US119m. They declared a final dividend of 19c a share and an on-market buyback of up to 5 million shares. They forecast EPS to rise as much as 12% this financial year. ANN up 5%.
- UGL Ltd (UGL) full year profit rose 9.7% to $158.51 and they predicted that 2012 would be a positive growth year. They declared a final dividend of 38c. The result was slightly below estimates. UGL down 2.7%.
- Leighton Holdings (LEI) has reported a full year loss of $408.8m, down from a $612m profit a year earlier, mainly due to losses and reversals on the Airport Link project in Queensland and the desalination project in Victoria. The result was in line with earlier guidance. They reiterated their FY12 net profit guidance of $600m – $650m. LEI up 6.8% to 2119c.
- Imdex (IMD) reported a full year profit of $29m after the previous year’s $21.5m loss and said the outlook for financial 2012 was positive. IMD up 9.9% to 216c.
- ThinkSmart (TSM) first half profit rose 5% to $2.88m after recording a strong performance in the UK where revenue was up 26%. The result exceeded consensus estimates. TSM down 5.1%.
- UBS says Macquarie Group (MQG) is distributing capital back to shareholders the wrong way. MQG expect to pay an 8% unfranked dividend yield, but they argue that this brings into question their capital management strategy. MQG up 73c to 2431c.
- Commonwealth Bank (CBA) goes ex-dividend (188c) today. CBA down 148c to 4708c.
Take a free trial of Marcus Today to get access to all of Marcus’ articles including…
- Marriage Advice – Marriage and the stock market
- Financial Patients – Beginners mistakes
- Final Demand – At some point someone has to get off their arse and pay down some debt.
- Denial – Extraordinary wisdom from the 1929 crash.
- The Wisdom of Hindsight – What we learned from the GFC 1 – in case we have a GFC 2.
- Stock market Dictionary – Broker speak, Client speak, Research speak and Company speak.
- Boar Market – Bull markets, Bear markets and now Bore markets.
- Equities versus Cash – When term deposits are sexy it’s telling you something.
- Stocks have personalities – Retailers are like ladies of the night.
- Cautiously Optimistic – How to sound smart but say nothing.
- The Big Bang – You get nowhere being short term in the long term.
- The Matrix – The industry wants us to believe a lie.
- Predators – The Government have created a massive target and the Barbarian hoards have descended upon you.
For a free 5 day obligation FREE TRIAL of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter Click Here. You will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including:
- Overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker recommendations and ideas from Marcus and his Team.
- Our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers …no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio. It includes Income Portfolio recommendations.
- Daily Technical Trading ideas and data, including daily scans of the ASX 300 for stocks changing trend.
- Stock Database – all the numbers with comments on the top 300 stocks and more.
- Educational section – Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles.
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer…we have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry