The market is down 15. The SFE Futures were up 4 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed up 14 overnight. Market opened low and rallied most of the day having been down 107 at worst. The European markets closed whilst Wall St was down. Initial jobless claims were described as disappointing and the Producer Price Index was a bit better than expected at the headline. Google fell 5.5% after hours on late results. The oil price was up $1 to $108.11, Gold was up $16.80 to $1472.40 and the Aussie dollar fell to 104.50c from 104.97c.
Today’s main stories…
- Rio Tinto’s (RIO) Chairman Jan du Plessis has warned shareholders that world markets remain fragile, despite economies being on the road to recovery post GFC. He also said demand for iron ore will be largely unaffected by the Japanese disaster last month. RIO down 61c to 8451c.
- West Australian Newspapers (WAN) has completed a $40m new share sale at an issue price of 520c. WAN unchanged at 524c.
- Brambles (BXB) has priced a $688m 7yr bond issue to retire existing bank debt. BXB down 10c to 702c.
- Boral (BLD) has spent $US182m buying quarry, concrete and land assets from Wagners Group, one of their competitors. BLD up 1c to 506c.
- NRW Holdings (NWH) is trading again today after raising $70m in an institutional share placement. NWH unchanged at 285c.
- Mirabela Nickel (MBN) has closed their $US395m senior unsecured note offering. MBN down 3c to 201c
- OM Holdings (OMH) will move their primary listing to the Hong Kong stock exchange as part of their plans to dual list in the territory. OMH down 3.5c to 124c.
- Western Areas (WSA) released their quarterly production numbers. 3rd Q Nickel production fell 7% on the previous quarter to 7,400 tons. Cash costs came in at $US2.23lb. They will move to underground mining later this month at their open-pit Spotted Qoull operations in WA. WSA down 5c to 707c.
- One of Equinox’s major shareholders has told the board to push for a higher takeover price from Minmetals. They say the current offer undervalues the company.
- Woolworths (WOW) release their 3rd Q sales numbers on Monday. GSJB Were expects comparable stores sales growth of 4%. They say the key will be any profit impact from the natural disasters and recent price initiatives. WOW down 18c to 2650c.
- CHINESE NUMBERS out around lunchtime. Not a lot of traders will be taking big positions in small resources ahead of these. We are waiting on GDP, CPI, PPI, Industrial production, fixed asset investment and retail sales. Leaks suggest CPI will come in at 5.3-5.4% above the 5.2% expected. GDP expected to be up 9.2%.
For a free 5 day obligation FREE TRIAL of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter Click Here. You will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including:
- Overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker recommendations and ideas from Marcus and his Team.
- Our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio. It includes Income Portfolio recommendations.
- Daily Technical Trading ideas and data, including daily scans of the ASX 300 for stocks changing trend.
- Stock Database – all the numbers with comments on the top 300 stocks and more.
- Educational section – Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles.
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer…we have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.