Prime Minister Gillard’s To Do list:
- sell a carbon tax to a public whose goodwill on the issue fell off a cliff along with Rudd’s ETS last year.
- communicate the complexities of the scheme to the public above the din of Abbott’s people’s revolt, including cost of living campaign and “broken promise” line.
- get everyone to forget about the fact that you promised not to introduce a carbon tax before the election.
- keep the Greens happy.
- get the Independents on side.
- keep mending relations with Professor Garnaut.
- make sure the lobbyists don’t get any ideas in their head about an anti carbon tax campaign, resource super profits tax style.
- settle policy disagreements over price, compensation and coverage.
- persuade people that you’re not just doing this because you need to wrestle back Green votes.
- put the Chief Scientist’s number in rollerdex.
- be convincing.
Ticking that off by July 2012 should be a cinch.