The market is down 26. The SFE Futures were down 23 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed down 107 overnight. Dow up 8 at best and down 149 at worst. Violence in Libya escalated as Moammar Gadhafi continued to refuse to stand down. Metal prices were mixed on the LME, Oil prices rose above US$100/barrel to new two-year highs before ending up 2.8% at US$98.10 and Gold put on $12.90 to $1414. Gold is now close to it’s all-time high of $1422. The Aussie dollar is above parity again — now at 101.18c compared to 99.90c yesterday morning.
Today’s main results…
- Aristocrat Leisure (ALL) announced a better than expected $77.1m profit compared to a $157.8m loss last year. ALL up 2c to 318c, was up as high as 340c.
- Toll Holdings (TOL) released a better-than-expected earnings result. Net profit came in at $164m, up from $107m last year. Declared an interim dividend of 11.5c fully franked. TOL up 4c to 624c.
- Ramsay Health Care (RHC) announced a 30.8% rise in half year profits to $102.8m, in line with expectations. Declared an interim dividend of 22c fully franked. RHC up 14c to 1740c. RHC up 0.98% to 1743c.
- IRESS Market Technology (IRE) said FY profit rose 18% from 2009 – results were in line with forecasts. Offered disappointing guidance with earnings growth expected to be in line with CY 2010. Declared a final dividend of 24c, 66% franked, plus a special dividend of 3.5c. IRE down 1.3% to 863c.
- Fairfax Media Group’s (FXJ) interim result was above market consensus. They announced a net profit of $172.3m compared to the $168 analyst’s expectations. Declared an interim 1.5c, up 36% on last year. FXJ down 2.82% to 138c.
- Origin Energy (ORG) down 5.2% to 1562c after reporting a 1st half loss of $136m due to impairment charges and the cost of their bid for NSW state-owned energy assets. The underlying profit was $304m.
- Pacific Brands (PBG) announced a below than expected 1st half net loss of $166.1m but gave guidance that they expect EBITDA for the 2nd half of 2011 to be weaker than last year. Declared an interim dividend of 3c. PBG down 12.7% to 93.5c.
- Goodman Group (GMG) — Net profit rose 23% in the half year, in line with expectations. Declared an interim dividend of 1.5c. GMG unchanged at 67c.
- Stocks going ex dividend today: Country Road (5.64c), Premium Investors (3.5c). SMS Management (13.5c) and Woodside Petroleum (54.31c).
For a free 5 day obligation FREE TRIAL of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter Click Here. You will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including:
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
- Overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker recommendations and ideas from Marcus and his Team.
- Our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio. It includes Income Portfolio recommendations.
- Daily Technical Trading ideas and data, including daily scans of the ASX 300 for stocks changing trend.
- Stock Database – all the numbers with comments on the top 300 stocks and more.
- Educational section – Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles.
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer…we have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.