The market is up 58. The SFE Futures were up 74 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed up 219 overnight. The Dow was up 225 at best and up 2 at worst. The S&P 500 climbed above the 1200 level for the first time in two years a day after the Federal Reserve announced its $600bn quantitative easing plan. The CRB Commodity Index was up 2.4% to hit its highest level in 2 years. The Gold price was up $45.50 to reach a new record high. Oil price was up $1.79 to $86.48. One US$1 is now buying $A1.005.
Today’s main points…
- RBA has released its Monetary Policy Statement — It has lowered its June 2011 GDP forecast to 3.5% from 3.75%. Expects solid employment growth going forward, the $A to continue to appreciate and that the November rate rise was prudent. Lowered its June 2011 CPI forecast to 2.75% from 3.25%.
- AXA Asia Pacific (AXA) down 5c to 556c despite announcing that it has been made aware that AMP have been in talks with its parent company AXA SA.
- Ten Network (TEN) executive chairman Nick Falloon has agreed to resign from the board. Falloon had been secretly working with US private equity investors Hellman & Friedman, who were to have financed a deal to take Ten private. TEN up 3c to 149c.
- Discovery Metals (DML) has come out of its trading halt after successfully raising $51m via an institutional placement of 112c a share. It has also launched a non-renounceable pro-rata, fully underwritten 1-for-4 rights issue. DML up 5.2% to 131.5c.
- Cape Lambert (CFE) has sold its DMC Mining to Stirling Minerals for $83m plus a production royalty. CFE up 1.1% to 44.5c.
- Caltex Australia (CTX) up 5% to 1249c after being upgrade to Overweight by one broker this morning.
- Stockland Group (SGP) has sold its eight-storey office building in northern Sydney for $61.5m. SGP up 2c to 367c.
- Santos (STO) announced last night it has acquired additional interests in Bangladesh. STO up 1.5% to 1304c.
- Eastern Star Gas (ESG) said it will delay its independent gas reserves review to early 2011. ESG down 1c to 86c.
- Both Westpac Bank (WBC) and Macquarie Group (MQG) go ex-dividend on Monday — 74c and 86c respectively.
- 36 stocks have hit 52 week highs today — notables include: ABC, ASL, FLT, FMG, FWD, MGX, MND, OZL, RIO, RIV, TTS
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here