The market is up 4. The SFE Futures were down 4 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed up 5 overnight. Quiet session with the Dow being up 21 at best and down 77 at worst. Better than expected earnings and a rise in consume confidence helped the Dow finished in the black. Metals were mostly mixed on the LME, the gold price fell 30c to $1138.60 and the oil price increased 3c to $82.55c. The Aussie dollar fell 98.54c from 99.05c.
Today’s main points…
- The National Australia Bank (NAB) FY result is out. Looks better than expected. FY cash profit came in at $4.6bn, up 19.3% from $3.84bn. Analysts on average expected $4.49bn. Declared a ff final dividend of 78c a shares payable on 17 Dec, which was also ahead of forecasts of 76c. NAB up 2.8% to 2545c. ANZ reports tomorrow and is up 1.6% to 2424c.
- Stockland Group(SGP) has sold its 13.1% stake in GPT Group (GPT) via a book build at 275c a share. They acquired the 243m shares in November 2008 at 360c a share. SGP up 1c to 379c and GPT down 3c to 282c.
- Fortescue Metals (FMG) has priced US$2.bn of 2015 year notes carrying an annual interest rate of 7%.
- Karoon Gas Australia (KAR) has launched an IPO of its South American assets to raise about US$621m-US$773m. Karoon will retain ownership of 68.1% of the assets in Brazil and Peru, which will be listed on the Brazilian stock exchange. KAR down 3.4% to 975c.
- Toll Holdings (TOL) in a trading halt “pending the release of an announcement responding to today’s press speculation with regard to CEO Paul Little”. Last traded at 664c. The Australian reported this morning that Little would announced his retirement at the company’s AGM on Friday.
- Lynas Corp (LYC) down nearly 7% to 145c after one broker this morning downgraded the stock to Neutral from Overweight due to the recent run in its share price. LYC is up 166% this financial year.
- Downer EDI (DOW) up 5c to 507c after being awarded a $190m rail contract with QLD Rail.
- ASX Ltd (ASX) down another 1.5% to 3806c today. Plenty of press surrounding SGX’s takeover with PM Julia Gillard getting involved saying national interest will decide whether it goes ahead or not.
- TAP Oil (TAP) appoints Troy Hayden as its new CEO and MD. TAP unchanged at 82c.
- Companies hitting fresh yearly highs include: FKP Property Group (FKP), Slater & Gordon (SGH) and Tatt’s Group (TTS).
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here