The market is down 20. The SFE Futures were down 18 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed up 31 overnight. Dow was up 115 at one stage. S&P 500 index hit its highest level since May and registered its fourth consecutive rise. Existing home sales were better than expected up 10% in September. The US dollar continued to slide on a weak statement from the G20 and the absence of a concrete plan to support the US$. Metals up as the US$ fell – Copper up 2.6% and has now reached levels not seen since July 2008.
- Commonwealth Bank (CBA) held its AGM today. Says the operating environment remains challenging. There has been a gradual improvement in credit quality but is concerned about the overregulation of interest rates thanks to “the mistakes of others”. CBA down 17c to 5077c.
- Bendigo & Adelaide Bank (BEN) announced plans to buy Elders’ (ELD) 40% stake in agribusiness lender Rural Bank. BEN down 7c to 905c and ELD is up 2.5c to 69c.
- Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL) CEO Terry Davis says he won’t be buying Foster’s Group beer business because he “can’t make the numbers work”. They have provided guidance including EBIT growth of 7-8% for the 2nd half of 2010. CCL down 28c to 1234c.
- Transurban (TCL) has finalised its contract with the NSW government for the $550m upgrade of the Hills M2 motorway in Sydney. TCL down 4c to 540c.
- PanAust (PNA) — 3rd Q Production numbers — produced a record amount of copper and gold in the Sept Q and upped their FY guidance. PNA down 1c to 79c.
- Oil Search (OSH) — 3rd Q Production Update — Production fell to 1.85m barrels of oil equivalent from 2.09m but revenue increased to $US142.2m thanks to a rising oil price. OSH down 2c to 650c.
- Perpetual (PPT) says it expects 1st H underlying profit to come in at $35m-$40m if markets remain stable. They said KKR bid of between $38 — $40 a share undervalued the company. Brokers talking $42. PPT down 10c to 3780c.
- Arafura Resources (ARU) — Trading Halt — Planning a capital raising. ARU last traded at 142c.
- Resources Boom 2 — Access Economics says we are at the beginning of a resources boom that could be bigger than the last one.
- Companies hitting fresh yearly highs include: ANG, BOL, COK, ILU and SGH.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here