The market is up 8. The SFE Futures were up 6 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed up 22 overnight although the S&P 500 fell slightly coming off the prior day’s 2.21% rise. The ADP Employment report (a precursor to the main jobs numbers on Friday) showed jobs fell 39,000 in September against expectations for a rise of 18,000. The gold price reached another record high, up $7.40 to $1347.70 and the oil price gained 41c to $83.23. The Aussie dollar hit 97.74c overnight and has jumped to 98.39c this morning on strong employment numbers.
Today’s main points…
- Total employment was up by 55,800 jobs last month compared to expectations for a rise of 20,000 – the most in 26 months. The jobless rate remains at 5.1% in September as expected. The dollar rose to 98.36 US cents on the news. The media will focus on the likelihood of an RBA rate rise on Melbourne Cup Day.
- Yesterday it was The Sydney Morning Herald, today it is the AFR reporting that BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto’s iron ore JV is dead. RIO CEO Tom Albanese said they “are continuing discussions with regulators, but it’s more challenging now than it was a couple months ago”. BHP up 1.09%, RIO up 1.05%.
- Dart Energy (DTE), the offshoot of Arrow Energy closed yesterday at 135c and is up 74% since listing on July 22. Southern Cross Equities has upped their valuation on the stock to 142c from 125c.
- QR National == The IPO is on track to reach its pre-registration target of 1m before the 5pm deadline tomorrow. The final timing of the IPO isn’t set and will depend on market conditions.
- Monadelphous (MND) has secured $120m worth of new contracts in WA and Papua New Guinea involving oil, gas, iron ore and water sectors. MND up 0.37%.
- Mantra Resources (MRU) received a speeding ticket this morning for its 17% rise yesterday. Company says it is not aware of any information that has not been announced that could explain the recent rise. MRU down 6.67%.
- The IMF has upped its 2010 economic growth forecasts for India on the back of increasing local consumer demand. They expect it to expand 9.7% this year, up from the 9.4% previous estimated, and by 8.4% in 2011. They downgraded US GDP forecasts.
- Stocks hitting fresh yearly highs today include: NCM, OZL, RHC, WSA, APA, PNA, ITO, NXS
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here