The market is down 38. The SFE Futures were down 45 this morning.
The Dow Jones closed down 76 overnight. The Dow was up 23 at best and down 98 at worst. The S&P 500 was unable to hold the important 1130 level. Volumes continued to be light and financials underperformed again. Initial unemployment claims increased unexpectedly and Ireland’s GDP fell 1.2% in the 2nd Q and 1.8% from last year. Metals were mostly up, the oil price put on 47c from $75.18 and Gold increased $4.20 to $1296.30. The Aussie took a breather — now at 94.91c.
Quiet on the news front to finish off the week…
- BHP Billiton (BHP) has approved the $US1.5bn development of the Macedon gas field offshore in WA. They own 71.43% of the resource and Apache Corp own the remaining share. BHP down 24c to 3898c.
- Rio Tinto (RIO) will spend $230m to raise the capacity of its iron ore operations in Australia’s Pilbara region by 5 mt to 230 mt a year by the first quarter of 2012. RIO down 45c to 7559c.
- CFS Retail Property Trust (CFX) — Trading Halt — They have announced they will raise $540m via an institutional placement to fund the acquisition of 4 DFO retail outlets. The placement will be at 186c a share (last closed at 195c) and they maintain their FY distribution guidance of 12.6c-12.7c a share. The centers were acquired for around $498m. CFX unchanged at 195c.
- Kathmandu (KMD) announced a FY net profit — excluding costs associated with the IPO — of NZ$25.2m, up nearly 70% on last year. Declared a final dividend of NZ7c. KMD up 0.5c to 136.5c.
- MAp Group (MAP) will pay a special distribution of 12.5c per stapled security from the proceeds of the sale of its 16% interest in Mexican airports. The special dividend will be paid on around October 21. MAP down 1c to 312c.
- Santos (STO) has confirmed that their LNG JV in QLD is awaiting Korean government approval to sell LNG to Korea Gas Corp. STO outperforming today – up 0.2% to 1274c.
- Notable stocks going ex dividend today:: Thirty companies go ex-dividend today – most notable being Myer Ltd (MYR) 11.5c.
- Stocks hitting fresh yearly highs today: Centennial Coal (CEY), Domino Pizza (DMP), Healthscope (HSP) and Sedgman (SDM).
- Stocks hitting fresh lows include Henderson Group (HGG) and Programmed Maintenance (PRG).
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here – you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database – all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here