The market is up 55. The SFE Futures were up 68 this morning.
Wall Street closed up 273 overnight. The Dow was up 287 at best and up 2 at worst and closed above the psychological 10,000 mark. The stronger-than-expected Chinese export number initiated the rally which was helped by other Euro and Japanese economic data. Metals were mixed on the LME, the oil price was up $1.10 to $75.48 and Gold fell $7.70 to $1222.20. The Aussie dollar went up to 84.84c from 82.74c.
Monday is the Queen’s Birthday public holiday. Financial Markets are Closed.
In other news today…
- Talk of BHP Billiton (BHP) making a takeover play for BP now that its shares have hit a 14 year low. From a balance sheet point of view, it can easily be done. BHP has reiterated their view on the proposed RSPT saying it should be substantially redesigned to address fundamental failings or be abolished completely. BHP up 2.05% to 3839c.
- Goodman Group (GMG) has set up two new co-investment vehicles with CB Richard Ellis Realty Trust in the UK worth $1.3bn looking to invest in pre-committed logistics development opportunities. GMG CEO says the new vehicles matched new third party capital with their development pipeline. GMG up 2.29% to 67c.
- Murchison Metals (MMX) has reported high demand from North Asian steel mills for their iron ore. MMX up 9% to 197.5c.
- The Australian reports that Santos (STO) is in talks with Chinese group Sinopec, about the potential $400m sales of a stake in their Gladstone LNG project in QLD. STO up 2.83% to 1346c.
- AV Jennings (AVJ) will sell their contract building division to Japan’s Sekisui House. They anticipate receiving around $18.5m when the deal is complete. AVJ up 7% to 44c.
- Perseus Mining (PRU) has received a permit allowing construction and mining to start at their Central Ashanti gold project in Ghana. PRU down 1c to 210c.
- Leighton Holdings (LEI) has been awarded a $170m 3-year contract extension by Consolidated Minerals at a manganese operation in WA. LEI up 3% to 3185c.
- Indophil Resources (IRN) has requested a trading halt. Last traded at 109.5c.
- OZ Minerals (OZL) CEO says the RSPT makes the company more vulnerable to a takeover and leaves the company unable to engage in any long-term planning. OZL up 1c to 102c.
- Stocks hitting fresh 52 week highs include: CBH Resources (CBH), Melbourne IT (MLB) and Ramsay Healthcare (RHC). Stocks hitting fresh yearly lows are Coffey International (COF) and Skilled Group (SKE).
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
To buy MARCUS’S BOOK “Stock Market Secrets” — Click here