The market is up 51. The SFE Futures were down 11 this morning.
Wall Street closed down 40. The Dow was up 125 at best and down 71 at worst. It fell in the last hour. Energy stocks underperformed once again with BP closing at its lowest point since 1996 — down 15.8%. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke made an upbeat statement about the economy. The Oil price closed up $2.39 to $74.38, Gold fell $15.70 to $1229 and the Aussie went up slightly to 82.74c from 82.72c.
In other news today…
- Australia’s unemployment rate fell to a lower-than-expected seasonally adjusted 5.2% in May from 5.4% in April. The number of people employed increased by 26,900.
- Caltex Australia (CTX) says a major turnaround and inspection maintenance procedure at their Lytton refinery in QLD is almost complete and that a full shutdown of the finery has ended. CTX up 6% to 1089c.
- Transurban (TCL) completes their Entitlement Offer. Retail bookbuild price is under 460c a share and underwriters will take up 27.8m shares. TCL up 1c to 446c.
- Kingsgate Consolidated (KCN) announced their Chatree North gold processing plant will pay reduced taxes under the Thai government scheme. KCN up 7.5% to 935c.
- Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) up 4% to 211c on positive drilling results.
- Rio Tinto (RIO) and its largest shareholder Chinalco are said to be working on a deal that could see them merge their adjacent Weipa and Aurukun operations or invest in the $US1.8b Yarwun 2 refinery. RIO up 2% to 6770c.
- Moby Oil & Gas (MOG) has entered into an agreement with North West Shelf Exploration, a subsidiary of MEO Australia (MEO). MEO up 1.5c to 29.5c and MOG down 0.5c to 9.5c.
- Aspen Group (APZ) in a trading halt. Last traded at 46c.
- HSBC economist says the China property bubble could burst and that the Aussie dollar could drop below 70c.
- Computershare (CPU) up 4.3% to 1154c on no announcement. It is considered a possible takevoer target for ASX Ltd (ASX).
- The Foreign Investment Review Board has approved US Magellan Petroleum’s acquisition of 40% of Santos’ (STO) Evans Shoal natural gas field. STO up 2.3% to 1308c
- Stocks hitting fresh 52 week highs include: Avoca Resources (AVO), Esservglobal Ltd (ESV) and Growthpoint Property (GOZ). Stocks hitting fresh yearly lows include: Carrick Gold (CRK) and Geodynamics (GDY).
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
To buy MARCUS’S BOOK “Stock Market Secrets” — Click here