The market is up 3. The SFE Futures were down 6 this morning.
Wall Street closed down 69 overnight. The Dow was up 135 at best and down 91 at worst and closed at 9,974 — below 10,000 for the first time since February 8. Apple’s market cap is now bigger than Microsoft’s after Microsoft fell 4% overnight. Metals were mixed, oil price fell $2.90 to $71.65 but Gold put on $15.40 to $1213.40. The Aussie dollar fell to 82.14c from 82.87c yesterday morning.
In other news today…
- Foster’s Group (FGL) has been upgraded by three brokers this morning after announcing yesterday they will be demerging their beer and win businesses. Some analysts say it is another way of putting up the “for sale” sign and anticipate a bid for the beer division once de-merged. FGL up 1c today to 554c after putting on 7.4% yesterday.
- Wesfarmers (WES) released their 246 slide Investor Briefing Presentation (hardly “Brief”). The Coles division, which is often the stock’s main driver, is on track. Patersons maintain their HOLD recommendation. WES down 34c to 2777c.
- James Hardie (JHX) — 4Q and FY Result — They announced a better than expected operating profit (excluding asbestos liabilities and other costs) of $US133.3m. Analysts on average expected a figure of $US127.7m. JHX down 8c to 707c.
- Westfield Group (WDC) announced they are seeing positive signs in the markets they operate and reiterated their FY distribution guidance. Worth noting that Chairman Frank Lowy has topped the BRW 200 Rich List for the first time. WDC up 10c to 1213c.
- Lend Lease (LLC) has held their Strategy Day. They are on track to deliver their earnings guidance and expect FY operating profit to be “broadly” in line with the result they reported last year. LLC down 3% to 746c.
- Ausenco (AAX) down 17.5% to 249c — have announced they expect to post a 1st half net loss of between $9m – $13m due to delayed project starts and currency movements.
- Transfield Services (TSE) announce their US subsidiary USM has won new contracts worth $US188m. TSE up 6c to 366c.
- Perpetual (PPT) says they expect their FY net profit to double to $85m-$95m thanks to improved market conditions. They expect underlying profit to come in at $65m-$75m. PPT down 5c to 2978c.
- The AFR was on the money yesterday after The QLD Coal Industry Rail Group, 11 coal companies including BHP and RIO, made a $4.85bn bid for the QLD government owned coal rail track network. One former politician has said that with financial markets looking uncertain, it has made the bid look a much more attractive option..
- Stocks hitting fresh 52 week lows include: Ausenco Ltd (AAX), Alliance Resources (AGS), Biota Holdings (BTA), Capral (CAA) and Tower Australia (TAL)
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
To buy MARCUS’S BOOK “Stock Market Secrets” — Click here