The market is down 102. The SFE Futures were down 79 this morning.
Wall Street closed down 163 on Friday. The Dow was down 2 at best and down 246 at worst. There are concerns that the EU and IMF’s rescue funds may not be successfully distributed. Metals were mostly down with Nickel down over 5%. Oil price fell $2.79 to $75.70, Gold dropped $1.60 to $1227.60 and the Aussie dollar dropped to 8849c, compared to 8954c Friday.
In other news today…
- Leighton Holdings (LEI) announced a lower-than-expected $400m 3Q profit and $37.5bn of work in hand. Most analysts expected work in hand to be above the $40bn mark. They reiterate their FY net profit to be above $600m. LEI down 5.2% to 3283c.
- Myer’s (MYR) 3Q sales numbers have failed to impress. The stock is down 5c to 306c. Sales remained flat, totaling $671m, up 0.3% on a like-for-like basis. Patersons maintain their BUY recommendation.
- The Sunday Times reports that the National Australia Bank (NAB) is in discussions with Spain’s BBVA about creating a JV with then in the UK. There is also talk that they are looking to sell their investment platform to satisfy the ACCC’s concerns over their AXA bid.
- Elders (ELD) up 3.8% to 108c after announcing a $1.1m underlying net profit. 1H net loss came in at $165.9m but expects a better performance in the 2nd half.
- In a letter to shareholders, BHP Billiton’s (BHP) Chairman Jac Nasser said the government’s proposed super profits tax must only apply to new investments and any tax reform should not disadvantage the resources industry. BHP struggling today – down 3.42% to 3732c.
- ANZ Bank (ANZ) has completed the acquisition of Royal Bank of Scotland’s retail and commercial businesses in Singapore. They will rebrand the 5 ATMs and move customers and staff to ANZ with minimal disruption. ANZ down 2.37% to 2227c.
- Goodman Group (GMG) has expanded their relationship with Canada Pension Plan Investment through the establishment of a $400m new fund. CPPI will own 80% of the fund. The transaction will need FIRB approval. The fund will buy Kmart development in Melbourne for $66.3m. GMG down 0.5c to 66.5c.
- ARC Energy, a subsidiary of AWE Ltd (AWE) – has made a 40c a share takeover offer for Adelphi Energy (ADI). The offer represents a 42% premium to ADI’s last closing price of 28c. ADI up 48% to 41.5c. Aurora Oil & Gas (AUT), which is in a similar space to ADI is up 12% to 79c.
- Personal finance commitments fell by a seasonably adjusted 1.3% in March to $6.874bn from $6.968bn.
- Stock hitting fresh 52 week highs include: ASG Group (ASZ), CBH Resources (CBH) and Carnarvon Petroleum (CVN)
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
To buy MARCUS’S BOOK “Stock Market Secrets” — Click here