The market is having a good day — up 50. The SFE Futures were up 20 this morning.
Wall Street closed down 40 overnight. The Dow was up 89 at best and down 100 at worst. The “Europhoria” waned overnight as it hit home that the Euro zone needs to reduce its debt to GDP ratio from 6.1% to the required 3% and to do so will impact euro growth. Metals struggled on the LME, the oil price fell $1.21 to $75.94 and the Aussie dollar lost ground to 89.48c from 90.28c. Gold was the big mover overnight putting on $17.20 to $1218.
The Federal Budget was released last night. Budgets are rarely market movers, and this one is no exception. The Budget also explains why they rushed out the Resources Super Tax a week earlier. Without it the budget would have lost its main headline of going into surplus three years earlier than expected.
In other news today…
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) released their 1Q Trading Update. The numbers are in line with forecasts but some brokers said it lacks quality (common criticism of the banks recently). Cash earnings for the quarter came in at $1.5bn. CEO tells us the environment will remain challenging. CBA up 27c to 5512c.
- CSR Ltd (CSR) up 2.7% to 170.5c after announcing a better-than-expected FY profit result. Net profit (excluding significant items) beat company guidance and was 8% ahead of what Patersons had expected. Shareholders will vote on the demerger in August.
- Transurban (TCL) rejects and improved takeover offer from their major shareholders. Canadian shareholders Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), CP2 Ltd and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan offered 557c a share (worth $7bn) but TCL’s management have deemed it inadequate. TCL is in a trading halt — last traded at 492c — as they raise capital for their Lane Cove Tunnel acquisition.
- Peabody says their revised offer for Macarthur Coal (MCC) of $16 a share from $15 a share offers “excellent and compelling value”. Patersons maintain their HOLD recommendation on MCC which is up 11c today to 1323c.
- Infigen Energy (IFN) announced they have been shortlisted, together with their partner, Suntech Power Holdings, for assistance under the government’s $1.5bn solar flagship program. IFN up 3.8% to 81.5c.
- Asciano (AIO) has signed a contract with Toll Holdings (TOL) to haul rail freight, with expected revenues of up to $1bn over 5 years. AIO is unchanged at 164c a share and TOL has put on 2c to 667c.
- SP AusNet (SPN) announced a 42% rise in FY profit to $209m. Profit (excluding significant items) increased 18% to $209m from $177.2m. The result was better than consensus figures. They declared a final distribution of 4c. SPN up 1.5c to 89.5c.
- Stock hitting fresh 52 week highs include: Andean Resources (AND) and Eldorado Gold (EAU).
The Dow Futures are down 29 at midday.
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
To buy MARCUS’S BOOK “Stock Market Secrets” — Click here