The market is up 19 — a little disappointing considering the big rise on Wall Street. The SFE Futures were up 58 this morning.
Wall Street closed up 405 overnight. The Dow was up 455 at best and up 6 at worst. The EU announced a loan package for EU nations potentially worth up to 750bn Euros (US$962bn). It caused a huge bounce in European markets overnight with the Spanish equity market up 14%, Germany up 5.3%, and France up 9.7%. Oil price put on $1.81 to $77.21, Gold fell $9.60 to $1210 and the Aussie dollar up to 90.28c compared to 8978c. The Euro jumped 2.7% then fell over to close up 0.3% as doubts about the efficacy of the package of the long term emerged. Just because an Ambulance turns up, doesn’t mean there hasn’t been an accident.
The Federal Budget will be released later tonight.
In the news today…
- Two large parcels of Arrow Energy (AOE) shares have changed hands this morning. Around 1.5% of the shares on issue worth around $53.7m. There some concerns that Shell and PetroChina might do what Peabody did and lower their takeover offer for AOE. AOE up 1c to 489c.<
- Transfield Services (TSE) retain FY10 earnings guidance at “flat to modest growth” saying operating margins are still under pressure. Patersons have a Buy recommendation and $5 target price. TSE down 4c to 398c.
- Transfield Services Infrastructure (TSI) said they intend to sell a wind farm in South Australia for $191m and raise another $110m via a share issue. Transfield Services (TSE) owns 48% of TSI. TSI last traded at 90c.
- The National Australia Bank (NAB) has emerged as the favourite to buy the Royal Bank of Scotland’s retail network of 318 branches. If successful, it would double the NAB’s presence in the UK. NAB up 27c to 2581c.
- Paladin Energy (PDN) announced Canadian based Uranium One Inc. has raised their holding in the company by 1.3% to 3%. PDN up 2.78% to 406c.
- Asciano (AIO) said they will write down the value of assets by around $1.11bn in the 2H but reiterated their FY guidance. AIO up 1.51% to 168c.
- Aquila Resources (AQA) doing well after announcing revised estimates at their Avontuur manganese project in South Africa. AQA up 1.2% to 980c.
- Bow Energy (BOW) up 7.14% to 127.5c after upgrading their coal seam reserves for 2010 by 50%. They are now targeting proven, probable and possible, or 3P, reserves of 4,128 petajules, up from 2750.
- Stocks hitting a new 52 week low include: Apex Minerals (AXM), Capral Ltd (CAA) and Probiotec Ltd (PBP).
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here — you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers … no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio.
It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL — Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY — Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL — Click here — A free summary of the day in the market.
To buy MARCUS’S BOOK “Stock Market Secrets” — Click here