The ASX 200 is up 5. The SFE Futures were down 10 this morning.
Wall St. closed up 1 overnight. It closed up 69 on Friday. The Dow is now up in 12 of the last 13 sessions. It was up 54 at best and down 17 at worst. Financials underperformed on the US government saying they will sell 7bn Citibank shares and Greece’s debt issues continue to worry markets. Oil up 60c to $83.82, Gold up 30c to $1154 and the Aussie dollar up to 92.76c from 92.59c.
In the news today…
- PPI numbers just announced are up a higher than expected 1.0% feeding the chances of an interest rate rise next week from the RBA.
- Super Cheap Auto (SUL) in a Trading Halt. Last traded at 507c. They will pay $54m for Ray’s Outdoors with the deal funded via a capital raising at 480c.
- Bank of QLD (BOQ) announced the acquisition of CIT Group Inc’s Australian and NZ businesses. BOQ up 2c to 1277c.
- Nexus Energy (NXS) says they will cease production at their Longtom gas facility after Santos (their customer) found low levels of mercury in the gas. Together with Santos, they will “commence the scope of work” to install mercury guard beds in the next two months at a cost of around $2m. STO up 17c to 1400c today and NXS down 3c to 29.5c.
- Centro Properties (CNP) received a speeding ticket this morning from the ASX. They have raised their FY operating profit forecasts. They now expect FY profit to fall by 25-35% compared to a previous fall of 45%. The stock has hit a yearly high today of 27c before easing 1c to 25c.
- Centennial Coal (CEY) – Quarterly Production Numbers – 3rd Q coal production came in at 3.2m tons. They expect a 10% increase in exports in 2010 and are set to expand exports further in 2011. CEY up 4c to 456c. The stock is up 11.46% in the past month.
- Nufarm (NUF) has completed the institutional component of their $250m capital raising. NUF up 5c to 717c.
- Molopo Energy (MPO) has announced that their subsidiary Highland Exploration and Production has signed a gas sales agreement with Novo Energy. MPO up 2c to 131c.
- Peabody says they will focus on Macarthur Coal’s (MCC) development projects when they undertake their due diligence. MCC down slightly today to 1614c.
- BlueScope Steel (BSL) is strongly against the BHP-RIO Iron Ore JV and has lodged a submission with the ACCC. BSL is Australia’s main buyer of iron ore. BSL up 2c to 280c.
- Companies hitting 52 week high: Centro Retail Group (CNP), Charter Hall Group (CHC), Goodman Group (GMG)
Dow Futures up 13 at midday.
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here – you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio. It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio. Members also get access to our Database – all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL – Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY – Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL – Click here – A free summary of the day in the market.