The market is down 74. The SFE Futures were down 72 this morning.
Wall Street closed down 115 overnight. The Dow was up 23 at best and down 181 at worst. January is looking like the worst month for the Dow since the market bottomed last March — down 4.03%. All the fall (650 points) has come in the last 7 days after the Dow hit a new high on January 19th. This is the third year on the trot that the markets have fallen in January. Metals had a shocker overnight, oil also fell 68c to $73.64. Gold hit a 3 month low – down $10 to $1074. Microsoft down 0.24% in after hours trading after announcing a 60% rise in net profit in the 2Q and Amazon down 2.61% in after hours results.
Reporting season picks up next week with Argo Investments, News Corp and TABCORP Holdings announcing results.
A quiet day on the news front:
- Ben Bernanke has won Senate approval for a second term as Federal Reserve Chairman by a 70 to 30 vote.
- BHP Billiton is expanding its operations in potash after acquiring Canada’s Athabasca Potash Inc. for around $320m. BHP has also approved a $US1.93bn expansion of its iron business in WA to increase capacity to 240m tonnes per annum in 2013. Its share of the expansion cost will be $1.73bn. Potential iron ore partner RIO will have the option to join in the expansion program once the two have established their JV officially. BHP down 2.38% to 3975c.
- Programmed Maintenance Services (PRG) has released a trading update – It has successfully acquired KLM Group and says its 2H trading results to date were in line overall with their 2H operating performance last year (EBITA of $36m). PRG down 10.3% to 327c.
- Australian World Exploration (AWE) down 5.1% to 261c after downgrading their FY output forecast to 6.2m barrels of oil equivalent from 6.5m.
- Energy Resources of Australia’s (ERA) result has come in as expected. They announced a 23% rise thanks to higher uranium contract prices. ERA down 9c to 2079c.
- Arrow Energy (AOE) down 4.5% despite lifting their 2P gas reserves by 50.3% this week.
- The big mover today is SmartTrans Holdings (SMA), a $25m market cap company. Up 960% to 5.3c after announcing China Mobile has executed a MOU with the company. 443m shares have changed hands.
- Macarthur Coal (MCC) down 6.4% after announcing its three way transaction with Gloucester (GCL) as well as assets held by GCL’s major shareholder Noble Group have been scaled back. Talks for a majority stake in Donaldson Coal Holdings have stalled.
- Stocks hitting fresh yearly highs today include Mantra Resources (MRU) and Macquarie Atlas Roads (MQA).
The Dow Futures are down 27 at midday.
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here – you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team.
You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio. It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio.
Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL – Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY – Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL – Click here – A free summary of the day in the market.
To buy MARCUS’S BOOK “Stock Market Secrets” – Click here