The market is up 1. The SFE Futures were up 16 this morning.
Wall St. closed up 41 overnight. Financials up, Resources down. The FOMC statement reiterated that interest rates will remain low for an extended period and the conclusion is that they are unlikely to rise until November this year. The disappointment overnight was the weak new home sales numbers suggesting the US housing market is not coming back yet. Metals fell in London, the oil price lost 39c to $74.32 and Gold fell $13 to $1084. The Aussie dollar also fell to 89.55c compared to 89.87c yesterday morning.
Making the news today:
- CPI numbers yesterday — The universal conclusion after slightly higher numbers than expected is that Australian interest rates will rise after the RBA meeting next week from 3.75% to 4.0%.
- Newcrest Mining (NCM) – Quarterly Report – 2Q gold production came in at 442,333 ounces, it also produced 23,860 metric tons of copper. It maintains its FY10 gold production guidance of 1.81-1.91m ounces and FY10 copper guidance of 85-90kt. NCM down 24c to 3206c.
- Whitehaven Coal (WHC) announces 2Q coal production increased 41% to 970,000 metric tons. It also says it has $233m of cash on hand. WHC down 13c to 465c.
- Webjet (WEB) has announced a 40% increase in 1H net profit to $5.2m, up from $3.7m. It also lifted its dividend by 67% to 5c from 3c, representing a pay out ratio of 72%. They also announced a new alliance with American Express. WEB down 1c to 228c.
- Alesco Corp (ALS) announces a 23.2% fall in 1H net profit to $9.7m and declared a 7c interim dividend. They expect FY EPS in the 34-36c range and say that although they saw signs of a market recovery in December, January has been trading softer than expected. ALS down 3c to 422c.
- OM Holdings (OMH) produced 184,242 metric tons in the 4Q of manganese at its Bootu Creek mine. OMH down 1.5c to 179.5c.
- Super Cheap Auto (SUL) had a profit upgrade and a writedown after hours last night. Expects a jump of at least 20% in the first half following strong growth across its three businesses, Super Cheap Auto, BCF Boating Camping Fishing and Goldcross Cycles. Results on February 18th. SUL down 10c to 496c.
- ROC Oil (ROC) produced 702,319 barrels of oil equivalent in the 4Q, down from 872,279 in the 3Q due to operational interruptions at projects in Australia and China. ROC down 1c to 66c.
- Stocks hitting a fresh yearly high include Mantra Resources (MRU) and Macquarie Atlas Roads (MQA). Stocks hitting fresh 52 week lows — Dominion Mining (DOM) and Oilex (OEX).
The Dow Futures are up 15 at midday
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 5 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please Click Here – you will receive our renowned and popular Daily email about the stockmarket with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day including overnight developments, news, comments, rumours, broker stuff and Ideas from Marcus and his Team.
You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to our Recommended Portfolio which is actively managed on behalf of subscribers.…no “set & forget”. Everything you need to effortlessly managed your own long term investment portfolio. It includes an Income Portfolio. And for the traders we monitor short and medium term trades on top of the portfolio.
Members also get access to our Database — all the numbers with comments on the ASX 200 stocks and more. Members also get access to our Educational section which includes an archive of Marcus’s Educational and Entertaining articles. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry.
For your FREE TRIAL – Click here
To Subscribe to MARCUS TODAY – Click Here
We also offer a FREE END OF DAY EMAIL – Click here – A free summary of the day in the market.
To buy MARCUS’S BOOK “Stock Market Secrets” – Click here