The market is up 18. The SFE Futures were up 8 this morning.
Wall St. fell 11 overnight. Down 5 at best and down 77 at worst. Housing Starts and Building Permits for October disappointed. The S&P 500 has been up as much as 64% from the 12 year low in March. The historic PE on the S&P 500 is now 22x, the highest since 2002. Oil up 44c to $79.58 and Gold finished $1.90 higher. The Aussie dollar closed down 92.96c versus 93.08c yesterday morning.
In the news today…
- ANZ Bank is loaded up with further funds for acquisitions, announcing it has doubled its $750m hybrid capital raising to $1.7bn. Rumour is that it will launch a takeover bid for AMP Ltd (AMP) now that is has a wealth management platform.
- Moly Mines (MOL) up 9.8% to 112c after the FIRB approved a $US200m investment in the company by privately owned Sinchuan Hanlong Group. The deal now remains conditional on Moly investors.
- Mirvac Group (MGR) tells its shareholders it is well positioned to pursue growth opportunities and its cost savings program is set to cut $25m a year. It raised its bid for MRZ yesterday to the equivalent of 59.4c a unit, still well below its NTA of 85c. MGR down 1.5c to 156c.
- Sonic Healthcare (SHL) — AGM — reiterates 10-15% net profit growth guidance for FY10. SHL unchanged at 1418c.
- Iluka Resources (ILU) says its Jacinth-Ambrosia zircon mineral sands mine in South Australia has began production ahead of schedule. ILU up 3c to 343c.
- Goodman Fielder (GFF) says it is close to selling its fats and oils division and is in talks with a potential acquirer. GFF up 0.5c to 155c.
- Eircom Holdings (ERC) says it doesn’t know which parties are involved in a large parcel of its shares. ERC is subject to a friendly takeover from Singapore Technologies Telemedia. ERC up 1% to 53.5c.
- AMP Ltd (AMP) is offering 5 yr, senior secured notes backed by office properties. Price guidance is capped at $250m and is 250 bps over swap.
- Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) — AGM — tells investors it continues to assess acquisition opportunities. AWE up 5c to 282c.
- Monadelphous Group (MND) has been awarded $60m worth of contracts for the Gorgon Project. MND up 19c to 1364c.
- Amcor (AMC) is planning to raise $US850m in debt from the US private placement market. AMC up 4c to 565c.
- Incitec Pivot (IPL) goes 2.3c ex dividend today. IPL up 5c to 290c.
- Stocks hitting fresh yearly highs include: Cape Lambert (CFE), Macquarie Media (MMG), NIB Holdings (NHF).
The Dow Futures were down 8 at midday.
MARCUS PADLEY is the author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 21-day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please START A FREE TRIAL — you will receive two daily emails about the stockmarket, our MORNING EMAIL with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day ahead and a DAILY EMAIL with all the midday events, news, comments and Ideas from Marcus and his Team.
You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to all the emails as well as Educational, Entertaining and Researched Articles from Marcus and his Team and an archive where you can catch up on a whole week or month in just a few minutes. Or Browse at length. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer.