The market is down 6. The SFE Futures were up 20 this morning.
Wall St. closed up 61. Dow was up 111 at best and up 2 at worst. Huge night for metals with Zinc up 7.8%, Lead up 6.16% and Nickel up 4.5%. The Aussie dollar hit a 14 month high at 90.63c and the oil price put on 45c to $71.55c. Gold up another $11.90 to $1056.
In the news today…
- GUD Holdings (GUD) has launched a share based takeover offer for Breville Holdings (BRG). It already owns 19% of BRG and is offering one of its shares for every 4 BRG shares, valuing the company at $279.1m. It is a 39% premium to BRG’s last closing price of 154.5c. GUD last traded at 862c.
- Babcock & Brown Infrastructure (BBI) says if its $1.8bn recapitalization plan to reduce debt doesn’t eventuate, it will fall into administration.
- Avoca Resources (AVO) releases 1Q production numbers. It produced 50,584 ounces at $428 per ounce. AVO up 5c to 171c.
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) announces the offer for its PERLS V has closed. It has raised the group’s Tier 1 capital ratio by about 40bps.
- Centro Retail Trust (CER) has paid the balance on its loan facility for its Centro Shopping America Trust portfolio. CER up 7.5% to 21.5c.
- Elders Ltd (ELD) says it won’t participate in any capital raising by Forest Enterprises Australia to add to its current 31.3% stake.
- Mirabela Nickel (MBN) has begun commissioning at its Santa Rita project. MBN up 1.3% to 295c.
- ConocoPhillips is planning to sell $US10bn worth of assets in the next two years, which might possibly include its liquefied natural gas export assets in QLD, NT and WA.
- Sexyland has launched a $7.9m takeover offer for riv al Adultshop.com (ASC). ASC last traded at 1.1c.
- Japanese machinery orders increased in August by 0.5% from a record low. It is a leading indicator for the Japanese market that is usually closely watched.
- Pacific Brands (PBG) up 9% on the back of a broker upgrade to Overweight from Neutral.
- Stocks hitting fresh yearly highs this morning: Seek (SEK), Oil Search (OSH), National Australia Bank (NAB), Equinox Minerals (EQN) and Virgin Blue.
- Seven Network (SEV) is 17c ex dividend. SEV down 20c to 620c.
The Dow Futures are up 4 at midday.
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
MARCUS PADLEY is the author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 21-day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please START A FREE TRIAL — you will receive two daily emails about the stockmarket, our MORNING EMAIL with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day ahead and a DAILY EMAIL with all the midday events, news, comments and Ideas from Marcus and his Team.
You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to all the emails as well as Educational, Entertaining and Researched Articles from Marcus and his Team and an archive where you can catch up on a whole week or month in just a few minutes. Or Browse at length. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer.