The market is down 37 this morning. The SFE Futures were down 28 this morning.
Wall St. closed down 77 on Friday. The Dow was up 4 at best and down 165 at worst. Metals, Oil and Gold all finished lower, as did the Aussie dollar which fell to 82.97c compared to 84.21c Friday morning. S&P 500 fell for the first time in five weeks but is still above 1,000 at 1,004.
Fortescue Metals (FMG) has agreed on a price (below the benchmark set by RIO with Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese steelmakers) for its iron ore that will be sold to China. The deal is subject to FMG completing a funding deal with Chinese firms Baosteel Group Corp and China Iron and Steel Association, worth between $US5.5bn and $US6bn. It will sell around 20m dry metric tonnes at a price of US94c per dry metric ton unit for the July 1 to Dec 30 period.
Lots of results today…
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
- BlueScope Steel (BSL) down 3% after it reported a net loss higher than some analysts had expected. The company forecasts a small loss for 1H of next year. It did note an improvement in prices and demand globally for steel.
- Newcrest Mining (NCM) up 2.02% — its result has come in ahead of forecasts and it upped its dividend to 15c from the 11c expected.
- Boart Longyear (BLY) has announced an interim loss of $US5.4m compared to a profit of $US111.7m last year and a $US635m capital raising. The raising will cut its debt by nearly 80%. BLY last traded at 44c.
- Ansell (ANN) — Top end of expectations – announced a FY09 net profit of $121.4m, up 18.3%. In US dollar terms, NPAT fell 1.6% to $US90.2m. ANN says next year will remain challenging and is targeting growth opportunities. ANN up 7c to 947c.
- NIB Holdings (NHF) up 6% after its FY normalised profit of $66m beat expectations. One broker expected $47.6m. NIB says it expects growth above industry average and to deliver an underwriting margin on 5-6%.
In other news…
- Amcor (AMC) — Trading Halt — is set to announce the outcome of negotiations with Rio Tinto to acquire its US packaging business worth around $2.4bn. The press this morning suggested AMC is planning a $1.6bn 4-for-9 rights issue between 420c and 430c. AMC last 565c.
- Leighton Holding’s (LEI) has had its target price lifted by 5 brokers. The rises were in the magnitude of 42%, 52% and 60%. LEI up another 8% today after its better than expected results on Friday.
- Commonwealth Bank (CBA) has gone ex dividend 115c today.
- Notable companies hitting a fresh yearly high today include Domino’s Pizza (DMP), Customers (CUS), NIB Holdings (NHF).
- Japan’s economy grew for the first time in five quarters. Its real GDP grew 0.9% in April-June from the previous quarter, an annual increase rate of 3.7%.
The Dow Futures are down 53 at midday.
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
You will receive two daily emails about the stockmarket, our MORNING EMAIL with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day ahead and a DAILY EMAIL with all the midday events, news, comments and ideas from Marcus and his Team. You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to all the emails as well as Educational, Entertaining and Researched Articles from Marcus and his Team and an archive where you can catch up on a whole week or month in just a few minutes. Or Browse at length. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer. Find out now. GET STARTED and hopefully one day we will Welcome you onto the Membership List. We have one of the highest re-subscription rates in the financial newsletter industry. Thousands of subscribers enjoy and profit from our services every day.