The market is down 8. The SFE Futures suggested a 2 point fall in the market this morning. Asciano making the news this morning.
Dow closed up 28 on Friday — very late rally into positive territory — low volume day. Metals down, Oil price down and Gold down $21. BHP down 69c to 3736c. RIO down 64c to 7656c.
$2bn PLACEMENT — Asciano Group (AIO) in a trading halt — They have announced a $2bn equity raising — 1 for 1 entitlement offer at 110c — a 40% discount — last traded at 183c. (UBS the broker). The offer includes a $779m rights issue to current shareholders ($330m retail and $439m institutional) at 110c a share, a $231m placement to sophisticated investors and a $1bn placement to other institutions. They will also raise $151m from a placement to Mark Rowsthorn subject to shareholder approval. They will use the capital to reduce debt.
Making the news…
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
- Atlas Iron (AGO) will raise up to $116.7m to fund the expansion of its Pilbara operations. $105m though a placement of domestic and international clients of Hartleys Ltd, and a $11.7m share purchase plan to existing shareholders at 139c a share.
- Oil Search (OSH) announces the PNG LNG Project participants have agreed to begin Early Works activities on the PLNG LNG project. Expects construction to begin in early 2010.
- Macquarie Office Trust (MOF) has entered into negotiations with the loan administrator after Quintana Campus defaulted on its $US106m loan.
- Paperlinx (PPX) Step-up Preference Security distribution will not be paid on June 30 after talks with its lenders.
- Resolute Mining (RSG) has poured the first gold from its processing circuit at the Syama gold mine in Mali.
In other news…
- Boart Longyear (BLY) up 25% on no announcement. It is up 150% in two weeks.
- Goodman Group (GMG) up 8.9% on talk of China Investment Corp buying a stake.
- Talk of resource giants Xstrata merging with rival Anglo American.
- RIO goes ex entitlement to their rights issue on Wednesday.
- According to the Sunday Times, Commonwealth Bank is interested in buying a good chunk of Llyods Banking Group’s fund management arm, Insight Investment Management.
- Morgan Stanley believes concerns about Brambles’ (BXB) rival iGPS is overdone and maintain their equal weight recommendation. The broker is also cautious on Australian banks, expecting a “second round” of dividend cuts in 2010.
The Dow Futures suggest a 44 point fall on Wall Street tonight.
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 21 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please START A FREE TRIAL — you will receive two daily emails about the stockmarket, our MORNING EMAIL with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day ahead and a DAILY EMAIL with all the midday events, news, comments and Ideas from Marcus and his Team.
You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to all the emails as well as Educational, Entertaining and Researched Articles from Marcus and his Team and an archive where you can catch up on a whole week or month in just a few minutes. Or Browse at length. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer.