The market is down 5. The SFE futures suggested a 2 point fall in the market this morning on the back of the 29 point fall in the Dow. Banks generally weak. The financial sector was down 2.6% in the US and was the worst performing sector. The NAB goes ex dividend 73c on June 4th.
Dow down 52. Up most of the session again – fell around 90 points in the last hour. Up 117 early in the session, down 69 at worst.
RIO up 4% in the US — Not a day goes by in the papers without the Rio Tinto – Chinalco deal being mentioned. According to the press Chinalco are now going to restructure its $US19.5bn investment deal with Rio to satisfy the federal government’s concerns.
- APN News & Media (APN) has completed the institutional component of its accelerated non-renounceable pro-rata entitlement offer raising $83m, $4m higher than expected.
- Envestra (ENV) upped it profit guidance for 2009 to incorporate lower borrowing costs, higher-than-expected revenue and government tax credits.
- Fairfax Media (FXJ) is offering to buyback $200m of medium term notes that mature June 27, 2011.
- Macquarie Airports (MAP) says the timing of recovery in traffic volumes across its international airport portfolio remains uncertain.
- Macquarie Group (MQG) says proposed changes to taxation of employee share schemes may have the reverse impact on its ability to implement its new remuneration plan.
- Woodside Petroleum (WPL) has entered into negotiations with Apache Corp. and Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company to buy gas for a possible expansion of its Pluto liquefied natural gas project.
- Adelaide Brighton (ABC) has held its AGM – expects FY net profit of between $105m-$115m and says cement demand may weaken 20% over the next 18 months.
- ROC Oil (ROC) has held its AGM today.
Also making the news…
- Credit Suisse ups Stockland’s target price to 305c from 298c and maintains its Neutral recommendation – expect SGP to “save face” for the loss incurred on its GPT Group stake by entering into an equity-for-asset swap with them. Rumours continue to build about a possible merger between the two.
- No comment from Santos regarding the AFR’s claim that it’s already receiving offer for its Evans Shoal, Petrel, Tern and Frigate gas projects in the Timor Sea offshore Darwin.
- Centamin Egypt (CNT) up over 20% after its parent company announced overnight encouraging resource definition drilling results.
- New motor vehicle sales increased 0.9% to 70,814 units from April.
- The Dow Futures suggest a 27 point fall on Wall Street tonight.
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 21 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please START A FREE TRIAL – you will receive two daily emails about the stockmarket, our MORNING EMAIL with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day ahead and a DAILY EMAIL with all the midday events, news, comments and Ideas from Marcus and his Team.
You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to all the emails as well as Educational, Entertaining and Researched Articles from Marcus and his Team and an archive where you can catch up on a whole week or month in just a few minutes. Or Browse at length. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer.