The market is down 50. The SFE futures suggested a 42 point fall in the market this morning. Only healthcare and utility stocks up. All other sectors down. Resources doing the worst — BHP and RIO down 2.0% and 3.1%. Alumina (AWC) down 11% on the open. Banks all down — WBC down 3.9% having gone ex dividend 56c. Energy stocks down 1.5%. Most the big industrials down. Coca-Cola doing well — up 0.7%. Gold stocks all up.
The Dow was down 62. Up 63 at best. Down 101 at worst. Dow down 5% for the week. Worst week in two months. The worse-than-expected Euro zone GDP data didn’t help sentiment in the US. Financials down 2.5% – worst performing sector. BHP and RIO both down in ADR form Friday – 1.51% and 0.28% respectively. Metals mixed. Oil down 3.5%. Gold up $2.90.
Making the news today…
- Great Southern (GTP) has been placed into voluntary administration after its banking syndicate turned down a request for further loans. The CEO said he believes in GTP’s strategic plan and is committed to working with administrators to extract value for shareholders.
- Billabong (BBG) in a trading halt planning a $290m 2-for-11 $7.50/share entitlement offer at a 29% discount and an additional $90m retail offer to pay down debt — downgrades its expectations for FY NPAT to $160-165m due to weak US earnings — down from $176.4m last year.
- GrainCorp (GNC) posted an expected 1H09 NPAT profit of $32.3m up from the $6.5m loss in the 1H08 — in-line with guidance last week. Planning a $6.25/share $60m institutional placement and a $30m retail offer.
- Gloucester Coal (GCL) have said the $7/share Noble Offer is superior to the proposed merger with Whitehaven Coal (WHC) — the Whitehaven merger will not proceed.
- AXA Asia Pacific (AXA) raised $166m through their share purchase plan.
- Apex Minerals (AXM) raised $14m through their 20c/share institutional share placement. Plans to raise another $14m at 20c/share through a rights issue.
- Iluka (ILU) announced that Unimin Australia will increase its offer for all Consolidated Rutile (CRL) shares to 45c/share and make the offer unconditional.
- Avoca Resources (AVO) gets FIRB approval for Dioro Exploration (DIO) acquisition.
- Oz Minerals (OZL) increased their resource deposit at Prominent Hill with the Western Copper deposit upped 32% to 245,000 tons. Up 2.8% at midday.
- Credit Suisse reinstate Macquarie Group with an OUTPERFORM and 4200c price target — like MQG’s highly liquid balance sheet and modest 53% gearing.
- Citi says Rio Tinto is unlikely to turn to a JV with BHP, despite attractive iron ore synergies, if the Chinalco deal falls through. Says a $10bn rights issue would be a better plan B.
- GPT Group tells majority shareholder Stockland Group to either make a bid or move off the register to erase investor uncertainty.
The Dow Futures suggest a 41 point fall on Wall Street.
MARCUS PADLEY is the Author of the MARCUS TODAY Daily Stockmarket Newsletter.
For a free 21 day obligation free trial of the MARCUS TODAY newsletter (and no we won’t ask for a credit card number) please START A FREE TRIAL – you will receive two daily emails about the stockmarket, our MORNING EMAIL with all the stuff you need to know ahead of the trading day ahead and a DAILY EMAIL with all the midday events, news, comments and Ideas from Marcus and his Team.
You will also be given a password to the MARCUS TODAY website including access to all the emails as well as Educational, Entertaining and Researched Articles from Marcus and his Team and an archive where you can catch up on a whole week or month in just a few minutes. Or Browse at length. We are sure you will enjoy and profit from what we offer.