I was just reading the April/May 2008 issue of Wild Magazine. I hadn’t read it in many years and was curious about the very strong bent against native forestry in Victoria. What caught my eye was the Pg 50 articles strong stance against the logging of 1939 regrowth forest in Victoria’s easte Gippsland. So I wondered what the magazine is printed on. In the editorial section it indicates that the magazine is printed upon Monza paper which is 55% from waste product paper. I therefore wondered where the other 45% comes from. Turns out (and read the fact sheet) that the virgin wood fibre comes from Forest Stewardship Council FSC certified forests (the paper is made in Italy). It turns out that one of the sources is USA native forest. The likely the age of this forest (probably douglas fir) makes the 1939 regrowth forest being logged on page 50 look like yesterdays newborn child by comparison. Wild Magazine is therefore printed on 45% old growth forest woodchip product which as it happens is just as certified by the FSC as the 1939 regrowth forest. However unlike the victorian wood chip this paper has the added bonus on having all those extra greenhouse emissions associated with transporting woodchip firstly from the USA to Italy to be pulped into paper and then to Australia to be printed upon. The paper isn’t bleached by chlorine — but it does appear that it is washed in an washing machine set on the “eco-wash” setting.

Isn’t it extremely reckless of the Catholic Church to allow an ongoing discussion on its website over this most serious of matters, in which two priests from St Pius X college in adamstown, John Denham and Tom Brennan, are now on trial for crimes related to the abuse of children at that school? 

Someone should ask the Telecoms Ombudsman about Telstra’s recent complaint volumes. Seems their customer service has gotten even worse.

I read recently that Bill Shorten utilises FF points more than any other politician, which is commendable. Could Shorten’s new relationship with the Governor General’s daughter, who lives in Brisbane, have seen him spend a disproportionate amount of time there, with most of the trips involving a Friday flight up and a Monday flight back to Canberra?

Peter Fray

Inoculate yourself against the spin

Get Crikey for just $1 a week and protect yourself against news that goes viral.

If you haven’t joined us yet, subscribe today to get your first 12 weeks for $12 and get the journalism you need to navigate the spin.

Peter Fray
Editor-in-chief of Crikey

JOIN NOW