Facebook Google Menu Linkedin lock Pinterest Search Twitter

Advertisement

Politics

Mar 10, 2008

Australian pork industry set to go belly up?

A surge in imports is undermining the local pork industry, writes Khalil Hegarty, senior consultant at ITS Global.

Share

In the middle of Lent, Catholics are abstaining from pork the same time Australian pork farmers considering throwing in the towel. Australian industry should be taking notice – the future of pig farming hinges upon a decision that will determine how Australian governments deal with import surges.

The pork industry is in crisis – and it’s not the drought. Pork imports increased by 48% last year. They have been increasing at roughly 23% annually since 2002. Operators have downsized piggeries. Staff have been laid off. The industry could collapse within 12 months.

The Australian industry is ripe for the picking. Quarantine regulation prevents ham on the bone being imported, but in the past three months there have been two cases of importers wrapping imported ham around Australian pork bones for sale in supermarkets.

The industry has asked the Government to provide temporary import restraint as part of a restructuring plan. This is allowed by governments under World Trade Organization (WTO) rules, known as the Safeguards Agreement. Safeguards allow measures against unexpected and prolonged import surges – and is the only WTO instrument permitting their use.

The body that assesses Safeguards cases is the Productivity Commission (PC). They handed down an interim finding on pork imports in December and will hand a final report to the Rudd Government this month.

The PC’s interim decision has effectively blocked the use of Safeguards. In its report, the PC stated there was no “clear evidence” that imports are injuring the industry – despite a mountain of data suggesting otherwise. The PC agreed pork importing nations like Denmark and Canada were benefiting from subsidies. It agreed pig farmers could not pass on higher costs to consumers because of cheaper imports. In the face of this, the PC remarkably ventured an opinion that Safeguards should not be used because domestic producers cannot match import prices – which is precisely the point of the Safeguards Agreement.

The PC has now effectively set a precedent where a recommendation for Safeguards is practically unachievable.

Australian industry should be watching keenly. In the face of a soaring dollar, increased costs and an increasingly protectionist EU and US, any number of sectors will be vulnerable to import surges. This represents the first significant challenge for new Trade Minister Simon Crean. Unless the PC determines otherwise at the end of this month, his ability to act on industry’s behalf will be severely diminished.

Khalil Hegarty is a senior consultant at ITS Global, a policy consulting group in Melbourne. ITS Global has provided policy advice to Australian Pork Limited.

Advertisement

We recommend

From around the web

Powered by Taboola

1 comments

Leave a comment

One thought on “Australian pork industry set to go belly up?

  1. jarryd nelson

    that is redicules u would think that any imported pork is taking away from australian farmers & processers.
    if the market is sitting at 100% and we import 20% that leaves 80% if we import 0% that leaves us to process 100%
    the only way to keep it at the same level would be to create or increse a new market
    whoever the fool was that said importing would not efect the industry is clearly not an intelegent person in saying this i am awere that i cant spell for shit so dont hold it against me

Advertisement

https://www.crikey.com.au/2008/03/10/australian-pork-industry-set-to-go-belly-up/ == https://www.crikey.com.au/free-trial/==https://www.crikey.com.au/subscribe/

Show popup

Telling you what the others don't. FREE for 21 days.

Free Trial form on Pop Up

Free Trial form on Pop Up
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.