A couple of wins and several more bubbly infusions before the Cup was all I needed to know that a back to back Cup trifecta was easily within reach. But then, the scratching of Gallic threw my calculations into disarray.
Hovering around me was a friend, an Efficiency expert, and seemed convinced beyond the bounds of rational thought that the out of form Derby winner was ready to make amends for his recent mediocre efforts. No way, I thought. I’m staying with Princess Coup. Ah well, at least I had two winners (Juste Momente and Belcentra) before the big race (almost) emptied my wallet.
So here’s my track record so far this carnival. A model of consistency, don’t you reckon?
- Week 1: Turnbull States day. Bet $50, return $29.30
- Week 2: Caulfield Guineas day. Bet $29, return $10
- Week 3: Caulfield Cup Day. Bet $56, return $19 (consisting of $13 from Spectacular Saint and money back for the Cup trifecta after the scratching of Maldivian)
- Week 4: Cox Plate Day. Bet $61, return $18
- Week 5: Derby Day. Bet $61, return $26
- Meeting 6: Cup Day. Bet $56, return $35.50
The Oaks is an even race with five main chances, but Try This seems to be the one most likely to enjoy the combination of Flemington’s long straight, and the 2500 distance.
Plonk $5 on each of these to win, and try a $6 box trifecta on Race 6.
RACE 1: (5) La Chasseuse
RACE 2: (5) Sunburnt Land
RACE 3: (4) Queen of Queens
RACE 4: (8) Grisbi
RACE 5: (8) Sensational Toy
RACE 6: (6) Try This to beat (2) Zarita and (4) Riva San
RACE 7: (1) Miss Marielle
RACE 8: (2) Lucky Secret
RACE 9: (2) Pinnacles
A documentary written and researched by Lawrie Zion, The Sounds of Aus, screens on ABC TV at 8:30 tonight.