What is said to be one of California’s worst fires ever is burning out of control in the Malibu Hills.
The fire has killed one person and forced the evacuation of hundreds of homes. Officials estimate more than 30,000 acres are burning, but are struggling to compile accurate data because of the erratic nature of the many-tentacled fires. About 500 firefighters are battling to contain the blaze. Malibu Mayor Pamela Conley Ulich said, “this fire, as the fire chief reminded you, is 0 per cent contained, which means we’re at the mercy of the wind at this moment.” Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has declared a state of emergency in seven counties.
The upscale Malibu neighbourhood is home to stars like: Jennifer Aniston, Sting, Bill Murray, Nick Nolte, Robin Wright Penn, Mel Brooks, Tatum O’Neal, Rob Reiner, Goldie Hawn, Linda Ronstadt, Jeff Bridges, David Arquette and Courteney Cox, David Geffen, Jeffrey Katzenberg,Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson.
The celebrity rehab centre, Promises, is under threat, and its patients have been evacuated.
Study the Map.
Watch the videos.
Get Crikey FREE to your inbox every weekday morning with the Crikey Worm.
- Millionairess Lilly Lawrence has lost her historic, decades-old castle-like mansion, and her priceless Elvis memorabilia, to the inferno
- The fire about to consume their home
- Surfers enjoying the Santa Ana winds
- Standing in the fire
- Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger holds press conference declaring state of emergency
- Home video of the view from the highway
- The Chapmans, ‘Fire in the Canyon’
Read the blogs.