Finally, Australian politics has entered the present.
So what can the young folk learn so far? Knowledge is a powerful tool. And so, it would seem, are a few politicians.
- 19 politicians have signed up to date, with Labor leading the charge: 11 Labor, 4 Liberal, 2 Greens, 1 Family First, 1 Democrat.
- Prime Minister John Howard doesn’t have a personal page — something about not wanting to be tied to a commercial organisation.
- There is a Howard Government page however. It has 8 friends.
- Kevin Rudd has 2,480 friends.
- Barack Obama has 140,803 friends.
- Malcolm Turnbull’s site is pretty bare, but you can subscribe to his blog. He’s asking people to vote for Wentworth’s most loved tree.
- Turnbull’s friend Steph says: “You’re way hotter than K-Rudd and Newhouse.”
- Bob Brown tells you things you might not have known about him: he’s a twin, a keen photographer, and once saw Jimi Hendrix (kinda).
- Our favourite Brown fact: You can subscribe to Bobcasts.
- Brown has 165 friends, cool ones: His Holiness 14th Dalai Lama, Wolfmother, The Cat Empire and The John Butler Trio.
- The John Butler Trio is also a friend of Robert Mugabe (unofficial), whose general interest is himself.
- The John Butler Trio is fave listening for Greg Combet who also likes Paul Kelly, Powderfinger and Bernard Fanning.
- The John Butler Trio is fave listening for Peter Garrett, along with Josh Pyke and Something for Kate.
- Peter Garrett’s MySpace page is green, with an ocean view in the background.
- Tanya Plibersek’s MySpace page is mauve.
- Steve Ciobo, federal member for Moncrieff, would like to meet Edmund Barton and Jennifer Hawkins.
- Kevin Rudd’s film turn-ons are Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Castle, Muriel’s Wedding, Been There — we think he means Being There — Austin Powers (all of them), and Shrek.
- Rudd’s friend Shannon says: “I had a dream last night that you died due to a storm. And so did Paul Keating. It was a nightmare. I’m glad you’re alive. :(“
- Rudd’s friend FROG-IN-A-BLENDER says: “I Like Aeroplane Jelly,
Aeroplane Jelly For ME!”
- Click on Joe Hockey’s site and you’ll be blasted with “Who let the dogs out”
- Hockey is married and a Leo, and is a proud parent with interests in cricket, rugby, touch football and farming. He kicks back to the sounds of Phil Collins.
- Julia Gillard welcomes people to her MySpace page with a video message: “Here on my profile on MySpace, you can get to know me better…”
- Gillard’s friend Mylene writes: “I totally admire and respect you. I love the way you speak and your hair is pretty as. You are definitely a role model to people like me.”
- Combet watches Australian Idol.
- Hillary Clinton watches American Idol.
- Peter Costello cries over Australian Idol. He doesn’t have a MySpace page.