It’s a bit rich for The Australian to be claiming credit for the Mark Llewellyn affidavit. This is what a story in the News Ltd national daily said today:

The details, contained in an affidavit from Nine’s demoted former news and current affairs director Mark Llewellyn, are believed to show senior executives pitted against each other.

As revealed by The Weekend Australian on Saturday, they are said to refer to private conversations involving Nine chief executive Eddie McGuire.

According to sources, one conversation involves the potential sacking of Today Show presenter Jessica Rowe.

The Weekend Australian reported claims Mr McGuire was warned by Llewellyn that if Nine lost Rowe, it might also lose her husband, 60 Minutes reporter Peter Overton.

If that’s the case, why is the injunction obtained by PBL directed against Crikey and not News Ltd? The Australian claimed: “Lawyers for Nine won a court injunction banning publication of any part of the Llewellyn affidavit after The Australian obtained a copy yesterday.

“Llewellyn’s affidavit was filed in court last week, but not officially tendered before Nine suddenly dropped its legal action on Friday, allowing him to go to Seven unchallenged. It was to remain confidential as part of the settlement”.

So we at Crikey have News Ltd to blame for the injunction?

Peter Fray

Get your first 12 weeks of Crikey for $12.

Without subscribers, Crikey can’t do what it does. Fortunately, our support base is growing.

Every day, Crikey aims to bring new and challenging insights into politics, business, national affairs, media and society. We lift up the rocks that other news media largely ignore. Without your support, more of those rocks – and the secrets beneath them — will remain lodged in the dirt.

Join today and get your first 12 weeks of Crikey for just $12.

 

Peter Fray
Editor-in-chief of Crikey

JOIN NOW