Since it was proposed that Alan Jones be appointed to the Police
Citizens and Youth Committee, a number of subscribers and readers have
emailed complaints citing the so-called “London toilet block incident”
in December 1988. The best way of dealing with this is simply to
reproduce some of the press cutting at the time, so here goes.

(Originally published on 21 January 2002)

A Crikey subscriber writes:

Re: The Parrot and the London toilet incident.

This incident is so often referred to, but how many of us know
what really happened , or can even accurately recall those details on
the public record?

All I can remember is the arrest and a Daily Mirror (?) front page featuring some high flying mates of Jones saying what a wonderful bloke he was. Then the charges were dropped.

Crikey could perform an important service to us all by
reassembling the facts of this matter: when was it, what were the
charges, why were they dropped. What was the media reaction , maybe
someone has kept the front page splash? If so, I’d love to see it
scanned into your site.

I suppose it’s unlikely that anyone could track down the arresting
officers and the legal people who decided not to proceed. It’s possible
one of this lot would shed some light on the affair after so many

Many thanks if you or the subscribers can help.


Sydney Morning Herald, 7 December 1988, Page 3



Alan Jones would vigorously defend a charge of committing an indecent act in the City of London, his solicitors said today.

Following an application by his barrister, the Sydney radio announcer was remanded on unconditional bail.

His case will be heard on January 25 at the Marlborough Street Courts.

London police allege that Jones, 45, the former coach of the
Wallabies rugby union team, committed an indecent act in a public
lavatory in Broadwick Street, central London, yesterday.

But Jones, in a statement read outside the court by his solicitor, said he was of good character and was innocent.

His solicitor said that Jones could have left the court by a back entrance, but had elected to face the press.

Police dropped a more serious charge against Jones, that of
outraging public decency, a common-law charge with a possible jail

Instead, he will face the court under the by-laws of the City of Westminster and, if found guilty, could face a fine.

Jones, who was met at the court by a large contingent of British
and Australian media, was in Britain for the intervarsity rugby
matches. In his only direct comment to reporters, he said he had
cancelled plans to attend today’s big match at Twickenham.

He was appointed coach of the Wallabies in 1984 and guided the
team through one of its most successful periods, including a grand slam
tour of Britain and France in 1984.

He taught at Brisbane Grammar School and The King’s School, Parramatta, before moving to Canberra.

* The NSW Minister for Corrective Services, Mr Yabsley, is still
considering whether Jones will be retained as a consultant to his

Mr Yabsley announced a week ago that Jones had been contracted to
conduct a pilot program to help prison officers improve their
self-esteem, and that a permanent program could be set up.

Sun Herald, 11 December 1988


RADIO star Alan Jones last night told The Sun-Herald about his feelings during the worst week of his life.

The 2UE breakfast announcer said: “The first thing is my lawyers have told not to say anything about the incident.

“Whatever the charges are I will be defending them. I am not an
immoral nor an indecent person. Therefore I will be defending them.

“But I know that there are people in worse predicaments than mine.


“You’ve got to fight when the odds are against you – when they’re stacked up against you you’ve got to try to defend yourself.

“I’ve been fortified by phenomenal support from friends here and
the response at home. My job is to make sure that I don’t let down
those people who believe in me. I’m not in the business of saying one
thing publicly and betraying that by doing another thing privately.

“On the other hand there are a lot of innocent people killed at level crossings.


“I don’t want to say it, but yes it is frightening, facing charges when you know you are innocent.

“I haven’t slept for a week and for most of the time I had no idea what my left hand or right hand was doing.

“By now I’ve had the first decent night’s sleep since it happened
and I’m ready to kick a few goals now, perhaps even a few heads.”


Sydney Morning Herald, 23 December 1988, Page 2



Alan Jones, the 2UE broadcaster, would be back on air in January and there would be a “lot of people with egg on their face”.

That was the response last night from Mr Nigel Milan, the chief
executive of the Bond Radio Network, to the news that a charge against
Mr Jones of committing an act of indecency had been dropped.

Mr Jones issued a statement yesterday through his solicitor, Lord
Mishcon, and his manager, Mr Harry M Miller, which said that the charge
had been discontinued and there was no need for him to attend any court

Lord Mishcon, an English solicitor who is currently in Australia, said he would be applying for costs on Mr Jones’s behalf.

Mr Jones was alleged by London police to have committed an
indecent act in a public lavatory in Broadwick Street, central London,
on December 6.

He was accused initially of outraging public decency, a common-law offence carrying a possible jail sentence.

This charge was dropped by police, who continued with the charge
of committing an act of indecency under the by-laws of the City of

In his statement Mr Jones said: “There was never any truth in this
allegation and I am naturally relieved that the charge has been
unreservedly withdrawn.”

Mr Milan said Mr Jones was still in London, and likely to return to Australia after Christmas.

“It’s obviously been a very traumatic and trying time for him,” Mr Milan said.

He said he had been asked by Mr Jones’s lawyers not to discuss the
circumstances of the charges and their subsequent dismissals, “but
obviously the Crown Prosecutor just dropped the case”.

“We’re absolutely delighted for Alan and 2UE,” Mr Milan said. “We’ve supported him unequivocally from the beginning.”

Mr Jones would be back in the breakfast announcer’s chair no later
than January 16. It would be up to him how he dealt with the episode on
air, Mr Milan said.

Sydney Morning Herald, 27 January 1989


Mr Alan Jones, the broadcaster and former Australian Rugby coach,
was awarded 70 pounds ($A140.90) costs when an indecency charge against
him was formally dropped here today.

Mr Jones was not at Marlborough Street Magistrate’s Court when the
prosecutor, Mr Ian Baker, said a notice of discontinuance had been

“This matter is in the court’s register for academic purposes only,” he said.

The magistrate, Mr John Nichols, awarded Mr Jones the money out of public funds.

Mr Jones, 47, was arrested in London’s West End on December 5 last year.

The prosecution dropped the more serious of two indecency charges
against him before the matter came to court the following day.

The minor charge of committing an indecent act was dropped on December 22. Mr Jones had denied all charges.


So there you have it. Jones was charged but they were quickly
dropped so you have to accept his innocence. The lad has never really
spoken about what actually did happen in the toilet block but without
charges he is not bound to speak about it.