The list of media professionals who have been physically attacked over the years continues to grow and today’s five entries are all quite interesting. Keep them coming to [email protected] At this rate we’ll probably finish up with more than 40:

Hugh Riminton writes from CNN in Hong Kong: Hazel Hawke once dug me in the ribs with her elbow when I was walking over to interview Bob on election night, 1987. Does that count? It bloody hurt. Her loyalty to the Silver One was inadequately rewarded, I always thought.

George Willison: On September 11, 1975, two months before the Dismissal, the Ten News reporter was chasing the story of the beleaguered Whitlam Government running out of money. At Sydney airport a stressed and jet-lagged Federal Treasurer, Bill Hayden, had just returned from a meeting of the International Monetary Fund in Geneva. It was rumoured Hayden had been seeking emergency funding to keep his fledgling Medibank scheme afloat. When asked about the rumour, Hayden lunged at Willison with his heavy briefcase – grazing Willison’s nose. Hayden later wrote a letter of apology to Willison offering to buy him a beer – to show there were no hard feelings. How times have changed!

Mick O’Brien: The SBS cameraman was bashed in Canberra in 1992 when he, reporter Alan Sunderland and a sound-recordist followed a phone tip that there was going to be a raid on the Iranian embassy by a group of political dissidents. Mick was stabbed with a screwdriver on that occasion and returned bloodied and scratched to Parliament House.

Stephen Feneley: On the night Barrie Unsworth lost the 1988 election in NSW, the ALP’s ad man, John Singleton, tried to hit Channel Nine’s state political reporter. It happened in view of The SMH’s Robert Haupt and The Australian’s John Lyons, and both gave it prominent coverage. Singo’s tired and emotional lunge at Feneley followed an encounter earlier in the evening when Singo conceded to Feneley on camera that the ALP lost because “the Government wasn’t good enough.” Singo eventually made a public apology to Feneley eight months later in a crowded restaurant in Toorak on the eve of the Melbourne Cup.

Dean Felton writes:Deidre Swan, a union official turned Queensland State Industrial Commissioner, was being questioned over her expenses during the Cooke Inquiry in Brisbane. My cameraman, Drew Towson, tried to shoot pictures of her leaving the hearing after her evidence, when an AWU hardman and ALP powerbroker, who’d been in the hearing, and another chap, thumped both of us and tried to wrench the camera away. I can still hear Drew shouting, “Don’t be a galah, mate…”