Razer’s class warfare: Aboriginal Australia needs capital, not bullshit feelings

The claim that Aboriginal Australians have a “special relationship with the land” is, quite frankly, racist and extremely unhelpful. Let’s make some real reparations — cold, hard cash.

There is one of those things I believe the expert photoshoppers call a “macro” currently circulating madly online. I am all for a critique of that celebration of theft we call Australia Day and don’t really mind this:

chill out roo

Except, of course, I am myself a bit of a prick and do mind it. I am a prick and I am also racist.

I am a racist prick. Let me clarify that: all white people are racist. I am white people, ergo I am racist prick people.

We honkies are all racist. There are those of us who own up to it. There are those who pretend they’ve detached themselves from the centuries and are miraculously cleansed of it. Then there are those who just say it out loud.  Whatever the case and however we choose to excuse or deny our bigotry, it lives in all white folk just as surely and as ineluctably as money just somehow tends to flow to the postcodes in which we reside.

Any white person who says he or she is not a racist is a racist liar as well as a racist prick. But this ineluctable racism, of course, does not excuse the long and troubling work of ridding ourselves of its complex practices — whether they are linguistic or economic or even, seemingly, positive.

Here, just for fun, is an example of racist thinking that is still commonly understood as “positive” in the lead-up to Invasion Day.

I lived in Canberra as a child and saw the Aboriginal Tent Embassy on the lawns of the Old Parliament House. I wondered what it was all about. Canberra was a pretty liberal place in the ’70s, and its mostly white residents were “tolerant”. I remember asking a teacher what the Tent Embassy was all about and hearing the advice that it was a good thing that demonstrated Aboriginal Australians had a “special relationship” to “the land”. For years, right up until the Native Title Act (1993) and even afterwards, I believed that Aboriginal Australians had a “special relationship” to the land.

I am not dissing this unique relationship. There is no doubt that humans tend to form attachments to place. I felt it once. I was dragged “back” to Ireland by my mother and my grandmother to see the birthplace of my convict ancestor, when actually, I just wanted to go drinking in Temple Bar. I wasn’t at all impressed by the idea of ancestry and still consider it vain; although I was, and remain, conceited about having an Irish rebel antecedent. But anyhow. I stepped off at Shannon Airport and cried like a baby.

There was something about the place that was familiar, something communicated across generations to me, and suddenly a good deal more about my life made sense. I was home, and I was emboldened by it. And yes, I am quite aware that comparing my family-funded trip in a comfortable plane to commune-with-my-acceptably-roguish-ancestors from the comfort of a B&B is every bit as comparable to having one’s land stolen, ancestors murdered and children taken “for their own good” as, say, a holiday resort is to Manus Island.

I’m just saying that I understand in the merest way what my Aboriginal Australian associates mean when they say “country”. But I am also saying that much too much is made by white people of this “special relationship” to “the land”.

They don’t own the land. They are owned by it.” This is what my teacher told me, and she was a nice white lady who meant very well. And I suppose it was better to hear this sort of assessment of Aboriginal Australians as being somehow “above” capital and property than hearing what I occasionally did at home, to wit: “these people” were “dirty” and “couldn’t keep a job” and “drank all the time”. N.B. This was often said after a cask of Coolabah funded by the theft of Ngambri or Ngunnawal territory.

I apologise to any reader who finds, as they very reasonably might, this description of the sorts of things white children hear from their families about Aboriginal Australians troubling. It is deeply troubling. But it is also at the foundation of many policies and practices and, I contend, shared building materials with the “They Have a Very Special Relationship With The Land” bullshit.

White people have become invested in this idea, which Dr Gary Foley, one of the nation’s best and most readable historians, described in a lecture I attended on Aboriginal Australian radicalism as a white man’s “ooga booga” view of land that holds, just as the Coolabah cask did in the home of my childhood, that Aboriginal Australians do not know what to do with capital.

As Foley, one of the founders of the Tent Embassy, has it, this is a mythology far more useful to white Australia than it is to anyone else. Foley, who is algorithmic in his judgement that each act of faux spirituality instigated by white people form the 1967 referendum to the Native Title Act to Rudd’s apology can be plotted against a descending line to represent the material conditions of Aboriginal Australians, has no time for emotion. Foley wrote in Melbourne Historical Journal in 2008:

The emotional response to Rudd’s apology, which was evident everywhere in Australia, well, in south-eastern Australia, makes it inevitable that this as an event will be a part of future white Australian mythology about how wonderfully they have always treated the Aboriginal people. It will become part of white Australia’s long history of denial.”

Just as women are held to be better moral guardians or homosexual men more “in touch” with their emotions, the relationship of Aboriginal Australians to country functions in the hands of the ruling classes as a means of reproducing material privilege. Sure, the thing we call Australia did not have a market-based economy 226 years ago. There was no central banking system, nor were there fully documented title deeds before 1788. I am not saying that there is doubt that the off-cuts of an emerging Western liberal democracy were very different to what was inflicted upon this country in 1788.

But I am saying that it’s time to stop the idea that it is “emotion” and “understanding” that will clear up this horrible mess, when the only thing that will really fix it is proper accounting.

The popular macro designed by a well-meaning schoolteacher says that “ignorance and hate” are the only impediments to a better Australia. The problem is, all humans believe themselves to be lacking in both ignorance and hate. Some people, for example, genuinely believe that prevailing theories of the market are neither ignorant nor hateful. It is likely that Adam Smith’s Invisible Hand guided the more literate men of the First Fleet toward the new colony even as it guides so many today who believe in capital as our nation’s just organising principle.

Feelings, including those that are in opposition to “ignorance and hate” and support the idea of a noble attachment to the land, are useless.

I am not for a minute questioning the sanctity and complexity of the esteem in which many Aboriginal Australians hold country. I am, however, saying that nice, white progressive schoolteachers tend to offer it up as a kind of booby prize. We stole your land and we built all these lovely houses on it and consequently formed an economy that produced the world’s sixth most-traded currency and we’re all doing very well. You’re not. The “gap” has widened on many measures, including lifespan and health and education and incarceration and suicide, these past decades. Sorry about that, but thanks for the land, which you won’t be needing use of in a Corrupt White Man way because, after all, you have such a lofty relationship to it.

Oh. Shut the fuck up and pay the rent, Whitey. Let’s really Say Sorry in our traditional way and offer up the thing we hold most sacred: capital.

There are things that can’t be said on a macro. As I found when I asked a colleague to remake the “ignorance and hate” slogan to my suggestion …

chillout roo

wayne robinson
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Well, I’m of European origin (so I’m ‘white’), and I’m definitely not a racist.

Because biologically, there are no human ‘races’. 85% of individual genetic variation occur within a ‘race’ and 15% of individual differences occur between ‘races’

The differences between ‘races’ is within a few dozen genes (out of a total of over 20,000), determining external appearances only.

There are no races. There’s opportunity and lack of opportunity. Access to education, healthcare, meaningful employment etc.

Marion Diamond
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

I hope I’m not a racist - but I’m fast becoming a Razist!

m hardcourt
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Isn’t this what’s already happened to the country’s native title system? The shift to ‘agreement making’ means that now mining companies just pay people to do whatever they want. And they are paying a lot (cos they can make a lot more).

Bob the builder
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

You had me a little bit with the Scorcese rant, but this is lazy rubbish. I kinda agree with most of it, but there’s too many straw men in it to give to too much thought…

Bo Gainsbourg
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Ever notice that the group the left hates the most is other bits of the left. And while they are flogging those other bits the right gets on with also flogging the left. Yep, we’ve all got something to answer for re Indigenous Australians and our role in profiting from their land. Not sure that hating on soft left mob gets us anywhere but go for your life.

Draco Houston
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Wayne, you might know that racism is arbitrary, but this does not mean there is no racism.

If you are of the opinion that racism is no longer an issue, check the ABS site. Look at incarceration and arrest rates. Look at their over-representation in the child protection services. But more importantly, look at what Razer has pointed out.

We live on land stolen from them, on which they had a functional civilization that they thrived in. Today we live pretty damn well off the land we took. They don’t.

Boerwar
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

It is time for a real Treaty ratified by the Australian Parliament and by a referendum of all Indigenous people.

If Indigenous people really want the Constitution to be ‘completed’ that can be agreed in the Treaty as well.

David Coles
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I don’t agree with all of the article but there are some good points. Definitely, let’s get rid of the bullshit. ‘stolen land’? By any sensible analysis there was an invasion. Those then occupying fought and lost. Those invading won and took most of it. Happens everywhere and is not likely to stop.

The gap has widened on many measures …’ No it has not. It has become smaller and smaller over the last 100 even 200 years on every measure except imprisonment, and that only because we no longer kill for some offences.

There aren’t simple answers. The issues are complex and require complex solutions. Trying to build a base for action on bullshit is always going to be pretty slippery.

teasmaid
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Not many of you seem to get the point here. You are in some pretty heavy denial of you belive that the ‘gap’ is not as bad as all that. Do some research and pull your heads out of the sand.

wayne robinson
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Draco,

I wasn’t disagreeing with most of the article. I was just disagreeing with the assertion that all ‘whites’ are ‘racists’. I’m not a racist, because I don’t recognise human races. Just economic disadvantage. Land rights doesn’t do anything for economic disadvantage when land title over much of Australia has been extinguished.

Bob the builder
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Having worked closely with Aboriginal people in the NT for the past decade I’d say one of the big gaps is in non-Aboriginal people’s understanding of the country, of kinship and of philosophical engagement. That’s not to deny in any way the material gaps that exist and should be addressed (and are certainly on the minds of Aboriginal people), but all this ‘they’re such victims’ mentality is just as disempowering and colonialist as the urban romanticisation of (remote) Aboriginal people. As is this discussion, which tacitly assumes that no Aboriginal people would be reading - let alone participating.

64magpies
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Razer on fire, again.

jake somerville
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Trying to generate some publicity for yourself Helen? Its too easy to be “controversial” in this arena and you’ll probably enjoy a little notoriety for this piece of lazy writing but really?? Trying to piggyback your writing career on race issues, your out of your depth.

Ken Lambert
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Helen Razer

Oh. Shut the fuck up and pay the rent, Whitey. Let’s really Say Sorry in our traditional way and offer up the thing we hold most sacred: capital”

So what the F*** are you going to do with the capital blackey? Piss it up against the wall and have all the rellies arrive and help you until it is all consumed?

Any then what - scream for more?

Razer, when you are doing the accounts, do a quick check on all the capital (other peoples savings) imported into this country since 1788 - its called improvements; and then add all the hours of labour by whitey since 1788.

Christine Seyfang
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

I agree with the comments that white people are inherently all racist in some ways. However your ‘well meaning school teacher’ comment is untrue and condescending to the efforts of those who strive as educators in many roles to ‘close the gap’ and create awareness and motivation for change to disadvantage and attitudes amongst students and families of all races. Your facts about land rights and ‘the gap’largely outdated and racist in a way itself by consigning all Aboriginal and Indigenous Australians to the same basket- also obviously not expecting that any will access this forum. Many urban Indigenous Australians have no idea regarding their personal ancestry so connection with language, land and Indigneous identity is tenuous at best, non-existent at worst. Your call for capital;well how, who to personally and at what rates do yuo mean this ‘rent’to be distributed? You raise some good points in your article, but I feel some are sloppily researched, your argument for ‘rent/capital’ not logical or practical for that matter. Finally unidentified racism is ignorance, treating others as less than oneself is hate, the result and consequences of these attitudes and behaviours is the slang meaning ‘prick’ then actually the meme is accurate and does not need your ‘colleague to reconstruct it’ without permisison or aknowledging the original owner to get a point across does it!!

Christine Seyfang
    Posted Thursday, 23 January 2014 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

I agree with the comments that white people are inherently all racist in some ways. However your ‘well meaning school teacher’ comment is untrue and condescending to the efforts of those who strive as educators in many roles to ‘close the gap’ and create awareness and motivation for change to disadvantage and attitudes amongst students and families of all races. Your facts about land rights and ‘the gap’largely outdated and racist in a way itself by consigning all Aboriginal and Indigenous Australians to the same basket- also obviously not expecting that any will access this forum. Many urban Indigenous Australians have no idea regarding their personal ancestry so connection with language, land and Indigneous identity is tenuous at best, non-existent at worst. Your call for capital;well how, who to personally and at what rates do yuo mean this ‘rent’to be distributed? You raise some good points in your article, but I feel some are sloppily researched, your argument for ‘rent/capital’ not logical or practical for that matter. Finally unidentified racism is ignorance, treating others as less than oneself is hate, the result and consequences of these attitudes and behaviours is the slang meaning of ‘prick’. Then actually the meme is accurate and does not need your ‘colleague to reconstruct it’ without permisison or acknowledging the original owner to get a point across does it?

Brigid Tancred
    Posted Friday, 24 January 2014 at 5:24 am | Permalink

It’s a shame that Helen doesn’t know what the word “disinterested” means. You should really check your encyclopaedia before you write a manifesto. But, not to worry, Christopher Pyne will attend to it soon.

Michael Blackwell
    Posted Friday, 24 January 2014 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Actually… ALL people are racist.

JohnB
    Posted Friday, 24 January 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Brigid, when criticising others’ use of words, perhaps it is best to avoid confusing “encyclopedia” with “dictionary”.

Cheree Corbin
    Posted Friday, 24 January 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I think understanding is still required (judging by some of the comments), and from that will come the support for the necessary and proper accounting.

Andrew Pengilley
    Posted Saturday, 25 January 2014 at 4:13 am | Permalink

I have always found ite interesting that the only place ‘white australia’ still exists, outside the literature of racists, is in the dialog about aboriginal culture. Did everyone else currently residing in Australia actually get an invite and we are the only ones who iinvaded, or would someone like ask some of the other cultures that make up the country their views on the matter. Because if you have to encompass the world history of all other cultures is some kind of theory of historical justice its going to get pretty thin pretty fast. Think you have problems? My family was exterminated in ethnic cleansing, my family was untouchable, my entire country was abolished during independence etc etc. And speaking for the white anglo folk, no the country was not actually settled the royal family.

LWW305
    Posted Saturday, 25 January 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Ken makes a good point. Comments any one. They are always light on when a good point is made.

Itsarort
    Posted Sunday, 26 January 2014 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

The way I see it Helen you have two choices; you can go on a hunger strike or you can blow-up a pub. Either way (sadly), it won’t make shred of difference…

Dogs breakfast
    Posted Sunday, 26 January 2014 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

We honkies are all racist. There are those of us who own up to it. There are those who pretend they’ve detached themselves from the centuries and are miraculously cleansed of it. Then there are those who just say it out loud. Whatever the case and however we choose to excuse or deny our bigotry, it lives in all white folk just as surely and as ineluctably as money just somehow tends to flow to the postcodes in which we reside.”

Razer’s modern day version of original sin, and like the catholic version, should be jettisoned.

I’m a goddamn whitey, and the fact is that I get ‘country’ probably as profoundly as most indigenous, and this idea that all people are racist, and that Australians are racist by default, is just Paul sheehan style rubbish.

Otherwise, a worthy article, but enough of the polemics Ms Razer, the audience her is better educated than to fall for that stuff.

Nat Turner
    Posted Sunday, 16 February 2014 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Reading some of the comments here is akin to what I hear from the Boers in South Africa.
    An unsuspecting indigenous people is attacked and defeated by invaders with superior weapons.
    Does that give the victors the right to oppress and vilify in perpetuity ?
    Should there not come a time for them to be totally equal,
    even if that means some assistance in leveling
    what has for centuries been a very uneven field.
    What follows is an open letter I put out this week,
    not all, but some will see reflections of themselves in what is being said of South Africa.
    Election is May 7, all kinds of spirits are in the air, hence the letter-
    ” It is not that all White people are racist,
    for they are not,

there has always been a sizeable majority who are not,
    at the same time, since
the last few hundred years,
    there has also been a significant minority of fearful, ignorant and
    insecure ones who are racists.

Based only on skin color they along with their (mis-) learned scholars
    have fooled themselves into
    believing there is some special quality in so called “White” blood.

I sit and listen to the hypocritical barrage spewed forth by ignorant fools, and ask my self really,
    how many of them are even blond on blue,

how many of them know who all 8 of their great grand parents were.

How many of them remember that when Europe set sail to conquer and crush the world
    they brought next to no women with them,
    and of the few many were rendered
virtually infertile because of climate.

The racism I see dished out against the African people is sickening,
    it is also kith and kin to the racism dished out against others,
    and in each case the fascistic low life racists have justified themselves.

The people of Tasmania wiped out to the very last person.

The Maori & Pacific peoples decimated.
    The peaceful earth loving mystical
Aborigines almost annihilated,
    classed amongst fauna & flora.

The Eskimo and Native peoples of the Americas faced with genocidal war.

The Gypsies of Europe, almost wiped out and to this day still discriminated against and

treated as 3rd class citizens.

Then the poor Irish who had the misfortune of having the English as a neighbor,

their hell started some 800 years ago enslaved, brutalized and, like people of color,
    having every aspect of their existence denigrated and belittled.

A taste of what was to come for the rest of us.
    Force of number only caused the people of India, China and Arabia to break the chains
    a little sooner, from the atrocity.

The countless millions of Africans shipped to the west is an ongoing story of
hell
    even in these “enlightened” times.

It is not just that this or that African does not like White racists,
    for we have always given the better the benefit of the doubt.

It is that colonial people have concocted an ideology for themselves,
    which they teach and have quite often enshrined in law,
    by which they have become accustomed to view, judge and treat all
    whom they consider to be inferior by.

Azania – South Africa is the last chance for you guys,
    don’t force it to kick off,
    many in spite of the history are prepared to live in peace.

Don’t let MaDiba’s (Nelson Mandela) crying for your safety be wasted.

Here follows a petition against Facebook’s support of the Boeremag who tried to bomb MaDiba
    A blog with a little more info