News Limited ‘in crisis’ on newspaper home delivery

There is a crisis gripping News Limited on the future of newspaper home delivery in Australia. My understanding is that there is disagreement between circulation executives in some News Limited state offices and their bosses at Holt Street in Sydney on the future model of newspaper home delivery and whether newsagents are part of the model.

Page 1 of 2 | Next page

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Companies, Print

Comments page: 1 |
  1. I went to the Perth zoo on February 12, and the local News Limited rag ‘the Sunday Times’ was being handed out free. Perversely, it was thought necessary to enclose it in a plastic bag, possibly in case it rained. It rarely rains in Perth in Summer and unfortunately, even the Winters are getting drier too.

by wayne robinson on Feb 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm

2. Pay more attention Mark. The man who designed the Adelaide solution is where nowadays? You guess it.

by Rob Dawson on Feb 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm

3. Mark, no axe to grind?

by Pete from Sydney on Feb 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm

4. Newsagents’ difficulties are surely going to deepen as newspapers become increasingly digital.

by Gavin Moodie on Feb 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

5. First the milkman is killed off, now it looks like the ‘paperboy’ is for the high jump. This is progress…

by zut alors on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm

6. Wayne

I attended the Perth Glory v Newcastle soccer match on Saturday night. They were giving away copies of the Weekend West in plastic bags there as well.

No idea why they were giving it away or why it was in a plastic bag either.

by Dan Gulberry on Feb 22, 2012 at 12:24 am

7. Interesting article. But as with broader media discussion on the ínfluence’of News Limited, what’s not made quite clear is just how weak is the hand Rupert’s dudes really play with; how much the organisation’s índustry paradigm setting’ is as much a product of smoke-and-mirrors, and the Holt Street self-chest-beating ethos, as any genuine market oomph.

I deliver newspapers five days a week in an inner city Sydney suburb well-known as having a demographic that is nowadays weighted towards the AB/educated/media-consuming (and indeed media-employed) demographic. Put it this way: my run would almost certainly have as high a daily-delivered newspaper subsciption base as any in the country.

So here’s today’s (very representative, typical) breakdown for my deliveries:

Fairfax: Fin Review 12, SMH 146
    News: Australian 6 Telegraph 6

I can’t be sure but I’d be surprised if this kind of proportional disparity isn’t fairly typical of the delivery runs throughout the cities of Australia. How this compares to the overall circulation ratios would be interesting to know. Interestingly, my local coffee shop stocks free copies of News publications but not Fairfax. We’ve all seen the ‘multiple çirculation’copies dished out gratis at the drop of a hat, though….so probably they’re all as bad each other in this department.

Now you can possibly factor in a few News publication readers who now read online only, or get their copy at work gratis - but then you’d expect Fairfax readers’ changing habits to be proportionally the same.

So the point in this thread’s context, I guess, is this: at least as far as my run goes (and the small biz newsagency from which I base it)…News Limited is, frankly, in no position at all to be laying down the law about how best to get the papers to the punters who want them arriving like clockwork at home. The reality for my bust-a-gut boss - and like the writer says, if you want to learn about relentlessly hard work and wafer-thin profit margins, buy yourself a newsagency - is that Rupert’s semi-irrelevant mercantile component of the rag-delivery trade could disappear tomorrow and not a jot would change in his daily commercial equation: not his profitability (ha!), not the fact that he and I have to get up every morning at four anyway (for Fairfax), not the local demand (such as it isn’t) for News on the doormat at dawn, and, to be honest, probably not the increasing bastardry and bullying with which the under-siege newsprint industry in general is tending to treat newsagency/retail outlets these days.

Lest anyone thinks this comment is a plug for Fairfax…it seems well aware of its market weight (at least in Sydney), and is tending to lump more and more product ‘final-prep’ on…you guessed it, the small biz dude at the almost-end of the food chain (I am at the very end!). For example, once upon a time the Monday TV Guide used to get inserted into the Herald at source. Now, we not only have to do it ourselves, but also, only to those subscribers who have (apparently) nominated specifically that they want to receive it. I know media Boardrooms are under pressure to trim production line costs, but it’s not a cost savings, as such: it’s a cost transfer. I’m on a fixed-rate sub-contract from my dude; adding an extra 20 seconds per paper for a 150 run adds 50-odd minutes to my time, which, put another way, reduces my hourly pay rate by about 30 percent.

So to all you holders of Fairfax shares, just remember, the next time you get a two cent higher dividend; or to all you middle-ranking bean counters who get a bonus for slicing another half thou’ percent off the second quarter running budget….that’s coming out of my labor, running around in pissing rain at four thirty in the morning for an extra hour or so - but same pay packet.

So make sure you bloody well enjoy it, I say!

Whew. Sorry about the length, folks. I have to admit: the last thing I ever expected to stumble upon in Crikey was a legitimate opportunity to play specialist Op Ed commentator (a job normally right up the other end of the news delivery chain to mine).

Good article, Mark.

by Jack Robertson on Feb 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm

8. Its time to completely dismantle the newsagent’s monopoly. There is simply no reason why this business should regulated. It should be deregulated, full stop, with no compensation, not one cent, paid to the newsagents.

by john2066 on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm

9. In the days of The Smith’s Weekly and the Truth we used to have good newspaper wars in Melbourne where the newspaper bundles used to be painted with pitch before the agents could deliver them.
    Maybe the agents should consider a spray can instead of pitch and return the Murdoch bundles artistically inscribed. It would save them a lot of time as cutting the mastheads out each day to get a credit, as it is time consuming and labor intensive.

by Mike Flanagan on Feb 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm

10. We can all see newsagents are being driven out of business. The lotto franchise seems more important to many paper shops. Digital papers and magazines will put paid to the days of papers being thrown over the front fence eventually, that and the ridiculous weight of Sunday advertising papers. Edward James

by Edward James on Feb 24, 2012 at 3:55 am