Rundle: worse than horse love

There is only one thing worse than be taken as an enemy of News Limited, St Oscar might have written, and that is to be taken up as their friend. Take the case of Bess Price for example. Price is an Alice Springs-based indigenous activist, about whom opinion tends to divide quite markedly. Some see her as a truth teller; others as someone who speaks for communities — such as Yuendumu — that she doesn’t live in.

She was a strong supporter of the Howard government Northern Territory intervention, and is much-feted by the Bennelong Society, the pro-assimilationist lobby group. She speaks several languages, holds a science degree and has worked in a wide variety of fields. Oh, and she’s also worse than having s-x with a horse.

You probably didn’t know about the science degree or the other stuff. But you knew about the equinophilia comparison. Why? Because last week The Australian took a tweet by another leading Aboriginal campaigner comparing Price with horse-love, and made it the basis of a front-page story.

Larissa Behrendt’s tweet, made at the time of  Q&A, went to her 800 followers, and instantly disappeared down the twitter hole. The Australian’s story retrieved it, and presented it to far more than 800 readers (unless it was a Monday edition).

Indeed The Australian was so outraged at this slur on a noble activist that it repeated the story the next day, using Behrendt’s reaction as the hook, to talk of how shocking it was that Bess Price had been compared to horse love.

Then it went on to feature in the op-ed section, with an extraordinary article by Marcia Langton that, among other things, recapitulated horse-love comparisons, followed by another article by Chris Kenny, which reminded anyone who didn’t know, that Bess Price was associated with horse-love.

Today, it went after Behrendt from a different and even more spurious angle related to tertiary teaching — but still found time to remind readers (800 or so; it’s a Monday) that Bess Price had been compared to the passion between man, woman, and pony.

Quite possibly, at some point in this process, Price may have realised that The Australian did not necessarily have her best interests at heart. Amazingly, they were not overly concerned with an attack on her dignity in the borderline private/public space of twitter; indeed, they were utterly indifferent to it.

Whatever one thinks of her opinions, Bess Price has had some courage in saying what she thinks, and associating with groups — the Centre for Independent Studies, the neo-assimilationists — which would win her few friends in indigenous Australian politics, and which form part of the conveyor belt by which News Limited creates controversies.

For this she has been rewarded with the role of patsy. News Limited will continue to run with the story until all that people remember of Bess Price is the horse-love comparison. It did that, no one else.

The attack on Behrendt is doubtless a matter of newsworthy public controversy, doubtless, doubtless. Doubtless, it has nothing to do with the racial vilification procedure that is being conducted by Behrendt and eight others against News Ltd columnist Andrew Bolt; nor is it in any way connected with the defamation action that Behrendt and another leading indigenous figure took against Noel Pearson for two columns he wrote for The Australian a couple of years back; an action that was settled out of court by News Limited’s lawyers very quickly indeed. Doubtless, doubtless.

But even if one discounts these factors, it is clear that The Australian is prosecuting and playing host to an extraordinary war around indigenous politics. Hitherto, one thought that this war was formed along fairly predictable lines, with the right advancing a strongly neo-assimilationist line.

Rural Aborigines should abandon any idea that their communities could form the basis for an alternative path to modernity, mixing the new and the old in a new way; instead they should abandon much of what remained of their way of life as a “culture cult”, and simply melt into an undifferentiated modernity.

Quadrant editor Keith Windschuttle — who in the 1970s had written of the coming Aboriginal peasant revolution — was one such advocate; a more recent, and rational one, is Gary Johns. The left version of this is Noel Pearson’s idea that Aborigines can get six hours of ultra-programmed rote learning in the morning and the teaching of culture tacked on in the afternoon, as a separate entity.

Page 1 of 3 | Next page

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Federal, MEDIA

Comments page: 1 |
  1. What’s so bad about horse love……I’ll be deep in the ground before I relinquish my platfrom shoes.

by mattsui on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

2. Best article in ages, Guy. I hope the lot of them read and have a good think about their behaviour. Now I have to go and google ‘Bess Price’ and read that damn tweet!

by Nadia David on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm

3. FFS, I need a diagram to understand this article - and I don’t mean of the horse thing. I mean the politics - who is on what side, but pretending to be on the other. Would it look like Noodle - I mean Knowledge - Nation.

I’m amused that Guy is continuing to spread the horse tweet, something I wouldn’t otherewise have heard of. And I’m disappointed that it comes from Professor Behrendt. Is it necessary to resort to such insults to make a point these days, even in 140 character Twitterland? I expect better of professionals who earn their living using words - couldn’t she articulate her criticism any other way? So much for the sisterhood. And I don’t care what the colour. Shame, shame, shame.

by puddleduck on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm

4. I’m with Puddleduck, and those mentioned by same are not my only sources of confusion. Are we also to take it that Langton and Kenny are being ‘condescending’ to Bess Price, but indicating her to be a ‘patsy’, as Rundle does here, isn’t?

And to throw in (several times) that Price is resident in Alice Springs, without mentioning once that she grew up in Yuendumu, is a trifle…inauthentic. Not to mention the fact that Alice Springs is dotted with town camps that are in many respects indistinguishable from (and populated largely by people from) remote communities.

by Mark Duffett on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm

5. I have personally spoken to Bess Price and understand her concern for aboriginal welfare as she has direct first-hand experience of death as result of petrol sniffing, drunkenness leading to assault and murder, and of course death by alcoholism. It is quite obvious to any serious serious analysis that the mixture of social welfare dependency, lack of dignity, and access to alcohol is continuing to have an enormous social impact on elements of the aboriginal community. This impact is not necessarily being felt amongst so-called “urban”aborigines”, some of whom have a very small proportion of aboriginal ancestry, and pontificate from their safe suburban domiciles on the civil rights of aboriginal Australians living in dirt and squalor as a consequence of their inability to adapt to mainstream social structures. This includes children being well fed, well clothed, and appropriately educated to be able to take their place in mainstream Australian society should they so desire. Whatever one thinks of the Murdoch press, this issue has brought to the surface the passionate opposition by leftist forces in this country to any form of intervention which may have long-term benefits for some of the oppressed women and children living in fear in as a consequence of violence brutality and alcoholism and even worse, the children not being educated in such a way as to break out of the cycle of welfare dependency, despondency and the lack of personal dignity arising from relative deficiencies in literacy and numeracy as a consequence of not attending school to an appropriate degree.

Whether one agrees or not with Bess Price’s views she is entitled to express them without vitriolic and condescending “put-downs” from a Harvard educated Doctor of Laws whom one would assume should know better. Consequently one would seriously question Larissa Behrent’s suitability to head up any government position.

One also needs to question the motivation of activists who are insisting on so-called “civil rights” of welfare recipients to spend their welfare cheques on anything they choose to the detriment of their families in a chronic cycle of violence, malnutrition and alcoholism, the cycle which has been going on for decades without any end in sight. You might not necessarily agree with Bess Price and Noel Pearson but the policies that they advocate seem to make sense if the objective is to a breakout of this vicious welfare dependency and its associated social dysfunctionality.

by Greg Angelo on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm

6. Thanks, Puddleduck - I was thinking of attempting to draw a diagram myself. I feel better about it now.

by PeterS on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm

7. Ahhh, gotta love knee-jerk righty commenters — still missing the point, even when it is explained in the body of the article.

In the case of Mr Angelo, I simply add that it is logically inconsistent to support the Murdoch press and then decry those who make “vitriolic and condescending “put-downs” “.

by Ruprecht on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm

8. Puddleduck(?) -

with the Bess Price thing repeated half a dozen times in News Ltd media, i really don’t think that I’m extending its purview by very much.

As for Greg Angelo, oh you’ve spoken to someone ‘personally’, have you? And they were sincere, were they? Good for you soldier.

by Guy Rundle on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm

9. Greg, you’ve become a latter-day Keith Windschuttle.. What happened to you?

by plonk oclock on Apr 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm

10. Nungarrayi is passionate about the future of the Warlpiri people she belongs to. Right from the beginning she has supported the Intervention. During an earlier TV appearance (Insight) she thanked Mal Brough. She does not deserve to be slurred the way she was. She is as entitled to her opinion as we anti-Interventionists are.
    But that the mention of the fact that Bess is a long time resident of Alice Springs should be regarded as gratuitous is also not helpful to the debate.
    To us Yuendumu residents (I was here three decades ago when Bess left to live in Alice Springs- so there! Mark Duffett, now I’ve mentioned it twice), no matter what our colour scheme, the blurring of the distinction between Yuendumu and Alice Springs whenever Bess is quoted and listened to is rather distressing.
    Despite Yuendumu’s current highly mis-publicised woes, this is not the dysfunctional dreadful place that politicians and media lead people to believe. I have witnessed significant changes in the social fabric of Yuendumu. I’ve witnessed the height of the now much denigrated “self determination” policy, and the height of bilingual education at Yuendumu School, and the height of the since dismantled Yuendumu Housing Association. My children have grown up here, I’m glad they did. I’ve seen nothing good come from the Intervention.
    I’ve been following Larissa Behrendt’s anti-Intervention comments that have given some of us out here much solace. Most of what we cop is the propaganda barrage emanating from Jenny Macklin’s office (“Aboriginal children are putting on weight”) and the occasional intelligent comments that sneak into the media from the likes of Senator Siewert and Larissa Behrendt are manna from heaven.
    To dismiss Larissa on the basis of one poor taste tweet I think is rather un-Australian. We don’t ignore Malcolm Fraser just because he lost his trousers once. Kevin Rudd can continue to be our foreign minister despite his attendance at a strip-club. We’ve forgiven Gareth Evans’ shenanigans, and don’t dwell on Snedden expiring in the saddle (oops now I’ve mentioned horses). We are the land of the fair go after all.
    Fair Go for Bess Price. Fair Go for Larissa Behrendt. Fair Go for the people of Yuendumu.

by jungarrayi on Apr 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

11. Guy,

Your beggarly ad hominem attack on Greg Angelo is disappointing. It is however wholly consonant with the impoverished, desultory mode of pseudo-intellectual circumlocution you display in your writing. As a number of those commenting above have noted, your article makes very little sense, even upon its own terms. This it shares in common with all the rest. I suppose that is why you must smear the article comments and the letters section with so many dribbling apologiae. I suggest your time would be better spent crafting the confused nonsense you write into something more lucid. As it presently stands, Foucault’s description of Derrida’s prose will suffice, though that is not to suggest that you are in the league of the latter; obscurantisme terroriste.

Sincerely,
    Lorne F. Easton

by lorne.easton on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:03 pm

12. @Guy Rundle
    You should remember that sarcasm is often quoted as the lowest form of wit. Yes I have spoken to Bess Price “personally”, after attempting to contact her more than once and only being able to speak to her husband. Prior to that I could only make contact by e-mail which is why my comment related to “personally”. And also I can assure you that Bess Price is very sincere.

It is interesting to note that the Fairfax press have totally ignored this issue probably because Larissa Barendt is involved in the Bolt defamation case, and the Fairfax press reportedly has a policy of not acknowledging anything positive emanating from the Murdoch press, but of course they’re happy to print anything which which is derogatory. Of course the Australian’s interest in this subject has nothing to do with the Bolt case.

To set the record straight I’m no lover of Rupert Murdoch, but credit where credit is due. Without the Australian this issue would probably not have seen the light of day notwithstanding the fact that it might pursue its own agenda through its editorial pages.

@Plonk Oclock - I have no desire to emulate Windschuttle, but I am interested in constructive analysis of this problem without necessarily being constrained by political correctness.

@Jungarrayi - I believe it would be appropriate for Bess Price and the Larissa Behrendt meet and see whether they can reconcile their differences and come up with a common methodology for squarely facing up to the issues and resolving some of these intractable problems which decades of bureaucratic involvement appear to have not solved. These two working together could probably achieve a lot more than being seen as protagonists.

by Greg Angelo on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

13. So what is so hard to understand about this article? How is it less comprehensible than some of our comments?

Whenever the “Aboriginal Problem” is discussed or debated or argued about. Whenever a straw man is constructed and thence destroyed, I am reminded of what Kim Beazley Sr. said once:

In Australia, our ways have mostly produced disaster for the Aboriginal people. I suspect that only when their right to be distinctive is accepted, will policy become creative”

Sadly “their right to be distinctive” is less accepted than ever.

by jungarrayi on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:18 pm

14. Dr Harvey M Tarvydas

Great stuff Guy, this is why we love you.
    Andrew Bolt would willingly totally change his stand if he could make love with that entire group (maybe a pony or two as well) at the same time, I have no doubt.
    @GREG ANGELO — Posted Monday, 18 April 2011 at 2:52 pm
    The missing understanding, dream and approach is to do the hard thing, unmentioned to-date (and the way to will have to be invented – not in any manual currently – but will prove what we really think of these 1st Aussies) is to treat the actual violence brutality and alcoholism with the sincerity that would change them and their victims expectation of life by saving them at their own recognisance. Just so hard, no thought has gone there. but our Aboriginal experts could invent the Aboriginal way to do it not the white mans way to do it.
    To go down such a path we would have to show a respect for these people beyond anything on display to date.

by Harvey Tarvydas on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm

15. Dr Harvey M Tarvydas

@JUNGARRAYI — Posted Monday, 18 April 2011 at 8:18 pm
    I posted mine before yours arrived.
    You and Kim Beasley Snr have said it more eloquently than I have.
    He’s inferring, and I am calling for a ‘quantum leap’ not invented by ‘whites’ but by you yourselves.
    To enable such a possibility at all we ‘whites’ need a quantum leap towards you in actual respect not just talk of such.

by Harvey Tarvydas on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

16. Any News Limited publication is worse than horse love.

by zut alors on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:30 pm

17. Platform shoes I can understand, but real horse love is a proof-of-pedigree thing, so Larissa’s must be a back-handed compliment you’d think. Of course there’s also wacko (or telepathic, or laterally sublimated) horse love, but we better not go into that.

by Richard Murphy on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:31 am

18. I am sure that there are 2 sides to this discussion, theoretical rights and the ugly reality on the ground. Some mixture of both sides most probably need to form the solution. Abuse and personal attacks, especially a very offensive one is not generally the way forward. This intensity of personal abuse coming from a Harvard educated individual is disappointing and surprizing and will/has cost her a lot of standing in the eyes of the general public as it has in mine.

by Cool Head on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:18 am

19. Ahem. My reference to needing a diagram wasn’t necessarily a criticism of Guy’s article - I generally enjoy your work, Guy. It was about how difficult it is to understand the politics of this situation. If anyone thinks I’m an idiot, or anti-Aboriginal welfare/rights/self-determination, as a result of expressing my inability to understand, that’s a matter for you. If I didn’t care, however, I doubt I’d be reading the piece in the first place.

I certainly wasn’t “dismissing Larissa [Behrendt] on the basis of one poor taste tweet”. But I think as a “public intellectual” of some standing, it’s disappointing that she cannot express herself more eloquently, and certainly more appropriately. I hold anyone up to that standard who makes their living as an academic or a professional. I don’t think it’s language one would expect from any sensible person, in fact. It’s the sort of comment one wouldn’t be surprised to hear from a football player after a drunken weekend - not what I expect from someone of her standing or education. And for it to be made in the context of such a debate is even more disappointing. I doubt Professor Behrendt would appreciate such a comment being made about her… in fact, she’s suing over a few comments she didn’t like. As is her right.

And all of this is distracting from the real issues. Does anyone really have the solution?

by puddleduck on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

20. I have to say, because it’s bugging me, but this sentence makes no sense:

It is interesting to note that the Fairfax press have totally ignored this issue probably because Larissa Barendt is involved in the Bolt defamation case, and the Fairfax press reportedly has a policy of not acknowledging anything positive emanating from the Murdoch press, but of course they’re happy to print anything which which is derogatory.”

If Fairfax had a “purported” policy of not reporting the multitude of good things that the Murdoch press does, then surely they would report on this matter as the Murdoch press look like pack of opportunistists gleefully stoking the fires of discord? Not to mention the obvious attack strategy on someone litigating against them.

Incidentally, starting a comment with the “sarcasm…blah, blah…form of wit” quote is the height of self-rightious clumsiness. Get off your high horse and people may pay attention to the rest of what you write. Oh no, horse…

by Chaika on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm

21. About time - the 800 of us who read The Australian yesterday have all, I’m sure, been thinking the same thing… how bloody obvious this is that News Limited are gunning for Behrendt (and their motives are transparent too). Curious too how the Tweet (sent on Monday) was reported, as News Limited continues to remind us, on the same as Behrendt’s appointment was announced (last Thursday). Hmmm. Coincidence? I think not. There has been a story every day since. Rundle is on the money - it’s News Limited who keep Bleating the Tweeting and it’s News Limited doing the most damage to Bess Price. As for today’s story… more evidence that News Limited has its own agenda.

by RhubarbRhubarb on Apr 20, 2011 at 7:22 am

22. Do the readers of this blog really think that NEWS limited is driving a conspiracy to get Behrendt? On the total scale of things in NEWS limited’s attention she is not even a gnat bite. There is a real problem within the aboriginal community and it needs to be addressed by having the sun shone on it. Contributions like that made by Behrendt help to raise the issue, while simultaneously damaging her reputation.

by Cool Head on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:19 am