‘Events don’t unfold hour-by-hour, but minute-by-minute’: QLD floods

This post is no longer being updated. For the latest Crikey liveblog of the floods, head here.

Brisbane and Ipswich are bracing for their worst ever floods, with tens of thousands of homes at risk and fears for citizens’ safety, as the toll of dead and missing for the state-wide disaster continues to rise. The banks of the Brisbane River have broken and the flood peak will hit at 4am tomorrow. Already many suburbs are partially submerged, and 20,000 properties are likely to experience complete flooding in Brisbane.

In Ipswich the river is rising, with 1,500 properties already evacuated and over 1,000 people waiting in evacuation centres.

The death toll has risen to twelve people, the latest victims being two men found in Grantham in the Lockyer Valley. The number of missing people has been revised down to 51 people.

We will be back updating this post tomorrow.

Update: 5:45 pm Most of Brisbane’s major roads have now been closed, with the Riverside Expressway now closed. Police are asking for people to avoid driving through Brisbane.

More sad news from ABC 612:

Brisbane’s Riverwalk will be demolished: engineers declare it poses a serious safety risk. It is already partially destroyed and submerged.

A quick update of some photos available, because 60 Minutes reporter Michael Usher took some truly incredible photos from Rockhampton and the Lockyer Valley today.

The infamous Wivenhoe Dam.

wivenhow

The devasted town of Grantham.

grantham

grantham2

In downtown Toowoomba.

rockhampton1

rockhamtpn2

toowoomba

Continuing on with Toowoomba, here’s a fascinating blog by a women who happened to be house sitting in Toowoomba this week (obviously the numbers of dead and missing are a little outdated):

During the rains and fog of the last few days and last night as we watched the news of this unprecedented crisis unfold before our very eyes, my emotions swayed between feeling lucky — oh so lucky, and a little un-nerved. How fate led us on a stretch of road along the Warrega highway that a few days later would be a region where 9 people die and over 60 — - some of which are whole families — are missing. How fate had us accept a house sit on top of a hill that is probaly the best place to be.

Plus, back in Brisbane:

The Brisbane Wheel rises out of the floods, from @yangwong on Twitter.

wheel

And two hours ago, the Riverside Expressway under QUT, by @mcphailtom.

riverside

5:15 pm The number of missing people has been revised down from 76 to 51 people, although “grave concerns” are held for nine of those missing, announced Neil Roberts, QLD Emergency Services Minister.

But in “a small piece of wonderful news”, QLD Police Commissioner Rob Atkinson told of how two men, in two separate incidences in the Lockyer Valley, who were thought to have been swept away by the flood waters have been found safe and sound. “One can only describe it as a miracle based on the circumstances on which they went missing,” said Atkinson.

Page 1 of 7 | Next page

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: ENVIRONMENT, Qld

Comments page: 1 | 2 |
  1. Here in the down-river suburbs of New Farm, Teneriffe and Newstead, as I predicted here yesterday, so far we haven’t got our feet wet. Overnight the river did not even break the banks. In fact Eves Restaurant right on the river is open for breakfast as usual.
    But the river is high, at about 0.5m off the banks even though this is peak low tide. Thus one would expect it to breach at the next high tide, in about 4 hours.
    It is bright and sunny, just like it was in 1974 just prior to the full flood hitting. Of course if it doesn’t rain another drop the Brisbane river valley will continue to deliver flood water for days to come.

by Michael R James on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:06 am

2. They say 5 states could be under. A land of flood and drought indeed.

by sickofitall on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:45 am

3. We are witnessing through pictures on TV and internet, the tragedy unfolding in Queensland /NSW due to floods. Last evening, prayers were conducted in Blackburn Sikh Temple in Melbourne for well being of all those affected in the crisis.

Blackburn Sikh Temple is collecting donations for the victims of these flood waters in Queensland and Northern NSW. We Aussies have always raised our hands when there is human crisis anywhere on the planet. Now is the opportunity for us to dig deep in our pockets to help our own, right in our backyard.

Please donate to charities of your choice. Some of the links are as below. Before you donate, do verify credentials of these sites.

qldfloods.org/ This site has all the information relating to Queensland Floods

Thank you and best wishes!

by IJ on Jan 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

4. And as the hours and days pass and the water returns to its home the debate will start.

The politically minded with attribute fault to the government, either this one or its predecesor.
    The religious will find the reasons in the Bible and the faults in our lives.
    The Greens will dam(n) the deniers.
    The capitalists will blame the left.
    The workers will blame the Gerry Harvey.

It will be slogans at 10 paces. Logic and civility will flow away like a flooded river and we will be up-to-our necks in abuse.

Oh hum!

by Tamo on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:23 pm

5. My wife has just seen a news item in the SMH about the plight of animals and the need for funds for the RSPCA (Qld). Natually, she decided to make a donation and logged on to the website. She has been confronted with a range of irrelevant questions such as title (to be sollected from a long list), all her telephone numbers, AND HER AGE. There might even be questions that she didn’t get to. She will never know. She has just logged off to the accompanimnt of muttered slogans about the difficulty of giving money.

by Tamo on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm

6. Maybe that snake with the frog on his back thinks he has takeaway dinner!!

by Jenny Haines on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm

7. Anna Bligh has done a remarkable job of handling this disaster. She has been articulate, moderate and calm when fronting the media, and I’ve rarely seen her consult notes when asked questions. She clearly has a very clear understanding of the response to the crisis. I think she’s amazing.

Well done, Anna. Tony might want to watch you closely to see how it’s done.

by nadia david on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm

8. Of course, it could mean we are approaching the end of days - if the lions, wolves and leopards are to get on with the lambs, kids and calves (Isaiah 11:6 and 65:25) I guess the snakes and the frogs would have to as well……..

I wonder how fast the frog decamped when they hit land.

Tamo you are right about all the blame nonsense - it always has to be someone’s fault. I will take away the memory that community spirit is not dead and that I had to redefine my opinion on the truly magnificent Anna Bligh.

by Sean on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm

9. Call this a flood? Pakistan had a flood. By comparison this is nothing more than a drizzle but here the people have mostly had time to prepare or leave or both.

20,000,000 people in Pakistan did not even know it was raining heavily in the northern hills.

Houses can be rebuilt, in places like Pakistan the houses were not much more than mud yet we have the true Aussie spirit coming out - cancel all foreign aid.

Cancel the NBN, some are even saying the stimulus money should be recalled.

Jesus, if this is the true spirit of Australia I don’t want anthing to do with it.

by shepherdmarilyn on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm

10. That ‘snake’ that the frog is on looks a hell of a lot like a floating stick to me.

Great updates and overall coverage.

by Ern Malleys cat on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:52 pm

11. kudos to Anna Bligh, articulate, concise, she has gone up in my estimation, she seems to be over everything and has kept us informed of events as they unfold, thank you Anna for keeping us in the frame, if only information like this was available in 1974.
    To our emergencies services you are heros, lastly how proud I am at the quick response and how quickly they became operational, well before Twowoomba, Ipswich And Brisbane Queenslanders have a lot to be proud about, none more so than
    our SES whose efforts are unbelievable , as so many of the SES are unpaid , thank you, thank you .

by charliegirl on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm

12. Anna Bligh has handled this much better than KKK will….

by sickofitall on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:10 pm

13. @NADIA - I agree totally. I’ve been really impressed with how calm and articulate she is, and just KNOWS every aspect of every situation, and god knows there’s too many to count. I’ve just watched another update, and have the feeling, that the news will only get worse from here. I feel for all concerned. I don’t mind admitting to being close to tears many times, so can only admire how brave and composed she is - she must be exhausted. Her own Mum had to evacuate and is now at her home, but her own home could be at risk too. Truly inspiratational Anna! Could not fault her, not that I’ve been trying to? I think Julia Gillard and Kristina Keneally have also been great - see, women can do anything!

In sharp contrast, yesterday’s Media conference in Canberra disgusted me. The questions of some journalists re budgets and surpluses was disgusting. I could not believe, that just after we’d learned of at least 6 deaths, including a4 yr old little boy who was swept away, these heartless morons showed such a lack of respect for the victims and the many people who are still missing, probably dead. The response on ABC radio showed, that there were lots of us who felt disgusted.

The one bright light of joy, was that dear little boy who decided to enter the world, when all around him were in turmoil. He and his mother are safe and well. Good news in the midst of sadness, fear and destruction!
    It’s so awful, that at times it appears to be unreal!

by Liz45 on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm

14. Yeah shepherdmarilyn I agree. When 75% of QLD is a disaster zone, NSW and Vic to follow and the estimated cost is up into the billions I think it’s completely rational and sensible we continue sending copious amounts of taxpayer dollars offshore and give stuff all to the taxpayers funding your feelgood donations to foreign shores. It’s ok to say our foreign aid should stay in Oz for the time being when most of the east coast is under water and not be accused of being xenophobic or racist or whatever you want to call it.
    This is by far the worst disaster in our history (i’m from brissie) and you’re worried about our foreign aid levels dropping and in the process trying to make everyone feel like a scumbag for forgetting pakistan. Your really Tim Costello tolling arn’t you? You make me sick. And a drizzle?? You obviously don’t live anywhere near the effected areas. Ignorance is bliss hey, now back to your latte you troll

by Arley Moulton on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

15. I agree Liz45. I too heard the media conference and wondered about the suitability of those questions at this time. There will be a time for calculating the cost and deciding how to pay for it - but not while we are still looking for missing people. As I meant to predict in my opening comment, a political dimension will be attached to the crisis so that the money and the deficit and the scoring of points will become the subject instead of the irreparable damage to peoples lives.

by Tamo on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

16. Maybe that snake with the frog on his back thinks he has takeaway dinner!!

Maybe in times of trouble it is prudent to pull together. Mr. Abbott please note.

by Catching up on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm

17. We are now seeing a specific use of the internet technology carrying the maligned Facebook and the trivial Twitter as well as traditional email. All can be an invaluable aid to communications in a crisis such as the current floods. Now we have thousands of de facto reporters sending the stories and the photos. Lost people finding on another by their own efforts. Keep rolling out the NBN including the wireless back-up circuits!

by Tamo on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

18. @Shepherd Marilyn - I agree with you, and of course Haiti is still suffering badly - that’s an understatement too. It needs to be said though, that if the US hadn’t interfered in Haiti by getting rid of their democratically elected president - twice, there may have been a different outcome. The earthquake in Chile was worse than Haiti, but resulted in less deaths and destruction - they’d introduced legislation re new buildings - they had to be built to take such earthquakes. Poor Haiti has been kept in an impoverished position to fulfill the desires of the US - with typical results.

As to Pakistan, I agree with you, and there’s no excuse for withdrawing financial support, just as our Govt says nought over the US campaign of using drones to kill innocent Pakistanis, on the false claim of getting rid of “terrorists”? Once we go down the road of supporting those who engage in empire building, we lose all credibility. When did the US go to the UN about invading Pakistan? And when did the UN say it was OK?

However, I don’t think that I should not have compassion for the people in Queensland. My heart does go out to them, and I know there’s going to be so much BS after the crisis is over, that we’ll all end up tearing out our hair. Making political points out of another’s misery is really low. It will cost billions and billions of dollars, not to mention money lost from no production etc, but the main thing must be saving peoples lives, and being thankful that not more are lost. We have a long way to go!

by Liz45 on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm

19. Flatmates.com.au is providing a free service to list emergency accommodation offers.

If you live in SE QLD have a spare room or couch you could offer someone for a few days, (zero rent) you can list it on http://flatmates.com.au/floods

by MarkTrask on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

20. Liz you correctly chastise the morons in the so called professional media. Their performance during the PM’s press conference was appalling. They and their editors should be bloody ashamed of themselves. What further low attempts are left for these jounalistic pretenders to wallow in?

by David on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

21. I tend to have sympathy with what marilyn is saying.Tax and insurance will support the Queenslanders affected by this deluge,as it should.And we will all contribute to the aid.as we also should.but Pakistan and Haiti are disasters,this aint.We as a nation love a weather crisis,less good at reacting to human made disasters…Rwanda,Yugoslavia,West Papua

by davidb on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

22. I am appalled at the response that ShepherdMarilyn posted. You must have a warped outlook on life lady. How would you feel if a wall of water rushed at YOUR house without warning? You are obviously looking at a different telecast of this awful event than I am. You have to have compassion for these poor people and the suffering they are going through. Aussies citizens are no different than the Pakistani people - I actually feel sorry for you - but as a true Aussie wish all who have lost loved ones, and in particular the lost children, wish my deepest sympathy.

This is not the time to show your politics lady. Learn to be a bit more compassionate - we will all pay one way or the other and have no control over what God has sent. We are suffering the proverbial ordeals by fire and water and will have to deal with what nature has sent to us.

I have to agree with Liz though, chastise the media morons during the PM’s conference - she wase there to discuss the current situation - not the health situation - the girl who asked the question should be given a rocket from her employer.

by maz.2 on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:52 pm

23. I’ve been watching this footage over the last many days - and weeks, being a media junkie. I also watched the footage of all the other frightful disasters in other countries too Marilyn, including the 2004 tsunami, Katrina, Pakistani floods, Haitian earthquake, the Chinese earthquake, etc etc etc. (well, those we get to see the footage OF). I also lived through Black Saturday here in Gippsland… it was only 2 years ago coming up barely 3 weeks from now. And I need hardly tell you, all those in Victoria who were affected directly or indirectly, are feeling what’s going on in Q’land with direct pain. I also lived through Black Saturday’s aftermath just at our local level, including working in government agencies trying to manage. The recovery phase is still going on for some people, 2 years on. Some will never ‘recover’.

I have often enjoyed Marilyn’s acidic and often witty political rants - in the spirit of Swift, I like to think. I share most of her general political leanings, including her sensitivities about our privileged first world existence vis a vis those in places like Pakistan etc. At the same time, it is critical that I for one - and I believe many others feel the same: can acknowledge - and not apologise for - our feelings for the ‘locals’ in our own country. She’s an infuriating country to be sure. But when YOU are actually in the midst of massive fire or flooding coming at you, your neighbours, your usual landscape…..psychologically, DUH, all else - including your finer political perspectives and global views disappear. And so they must and should. You simply have to focus, be right there in the present moment. Moment by moment. It’s called survival.

Just for this topic, Marilyn, unless you have some something human and compassionate to say - as you have shown with your funny recollections in the Dogonauts Lounge at times, of (funnily enough) your poignantly old fashioned Aussie upbringing - please keep a judicious Buddhist silence. Thank you.

by Vix on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm

24. Though its too early to assess the politics of the flood, signs are that Queensland Premier Bligh and PM Gillard will come out of it looking very good. Bligh is in a desperate situation with a disapproval rating of 80% and facing a NSW ALP style wipeout in the election due in about 12 months. During the crisis she has frequently appeared on TV, looking measured, in charge and in control. Gillard is now in Brisbane making the rounds of the evacuation centres and promising support.

What of the Angry Abbott? Not a sign. Fixing the floods will be expensive and should the AA or his disciples start bleating about the deficit or going into oppose mode, expect very bad vibes from Queenslanders who will be in desperate need of support after this disaster.

I might add on an entirely unrelated point the flooding may be far from over. I gather the Southern oscillation index is at record levels and there are at least two months remaining in the wet season.

by botswana bob on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:45 pm

25. I was looking for a complete information of what was going on in Brisbane (I live in Europe and work for a French media) and I am utterly amazed by this article so thouroughly complete on the situation. With also the humoristic touch, the amazing picture of the frog on the back of the snake… or the drinking game…
    Bravo !

By the way, the comments by the usual readers of this paper are also very interesting for someone like me who live in France, aka the reactions to Marilyn’s post, which I understand. They are written with style (I loved “the Buddhist silence” :) )
    Right now, we are commemorating the one year anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti and everybody says the situation there hasn’t improved ! But Haiti is Haiti, it’s far away, they have no president, no administration, no police officers to maintain order. It’s chaos. Situation must be extremely critical in Queensland too, but as Marylin says, Australia is a higly developed country and compared to Pakistan or as I stated above, Haïti, it canbe considered less dramatic.
    Truly yours.
    E.L.

by Dalayrac on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:57 pm

26. Oh for heaven’s sake, it’s not a disaster. It’s water that was predicted months and months ago when La Nina kicked in.

20 million were made homeless in an inland tsunami in Pakistan and we gave them almost no help.

It’s not a lack of compassion for Australian’s, it’s disgust with the constant maundering that Australian’s are somehow different and better at coping than anyone else.

7 million Pakistanis are still homeless and still we do not help them on the spurious grounds that the “extremists’ might get their hands on the money.

As a nation we are revolting.

by shepherdmarilyn on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:35 pm

27. I don’t know where this mention of my upbringing has ever been mentioned anywhere, I suspect I am being confused with someone else.

I have been in constant touch with a friend in Brisbane whose nephew looked like losing everything, he seems to be out of danger now but it was touch and go.

She is a former migration agent revolted by the attitude of many of her fellow Queenslanders who want to punish the destitute and refugees because of the bloody floods they did not cause.

by shepherdmarilyn on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm

28. Marilyn you certainly have a highly inflated opinion of yourself don’t you. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you have shown absolutely no concern for the drama that is happening. How dare you say it’s not a disaster. If so, what is it then you idiot.

These people from 75% of Queensland are suffering and some have been for weeks having lost everything not one, but two and three times. Would you be able to cope with that. Bet not. Get off your high horse and down with the real genuine people who call themselves Australian. Its people like you that really anger most people - I wonder if you have ever lost somebody (as I have) and know what that pain is like. My partner was completely disabled and lost both legs and a hand - am I whinging - no. I have seen many people who were blind, in wheelchairs and disabled to some extent being assisted into the Evacuation Centres. Fate and illness is what caused my partner of 46 years to die, and since then have managed to get myself together and still respect other human beings.

You obviously are a bitter, twisted person with no emotion capable of being shown to the people that are going to go through years of hardship. And also, you have been in constant touch with a friend in Brisbane, and he got out. What do you think of the poor buggars that have LOST EVERYTHING THEY WORKED FOR PLUS THEIR LIVELIHOOD. Chew on that one.

As to your comment about our “nation being revolting,” well if you don’t like it then get out and go and live in Pakistan or some other third world country and then you might appreciate what a lucky country we live in. I’d happily give you the money to leave and never return to our shores again. You are an obnoxious woman.

by maz.2 on Jan 12, 2011 at 11:11 pm

29. As the new day gives us the wisdom of hindsight, and as Marylin specifies this situation was completely predictable from the devastating floods of Pakistan and subsequent precipitous events in Bali Indonesia and North QLD the fact is that the monsoon feeds our weather system as our upper atmosphere heats up. Given that the cyclone season and full wet season is just about to kick in, these events are also an indicator of things to come as the long range forecast is for above average rain for the next few months. It is advisable for anyone that resides in flood prone areas throughout the whole country that has escaped the trauma of the current events to prepare for any contingencies that might occur in the future. We have been lucky to escape this time on the Northern Rivers. And our condolences to those affected in NSW, QLD and elsewhere. You will be lucky to receive the best Federal and State recovery assistance as those of us affected in past events have not. I thank whatever you believe in for the Local SES volunteers.
    The media coverage has been sensationalist, there have been many floods in regional areas previously (though none as epic as the Grantham episode ) that received scant mention from the media. It is interesting the way that 7 in particular has been promoting K Rudd as potential Lazarus material, I won’t be surprised if and when the puppet masters cut Julia’s strings before the next election and you guess the rest.
    The “IT Crowd” have performed well but still it came down to 1 or 3 ‘switched on’ individuals to lead the way though full credit to the Brisvegas City Council who went into damage control mode effectively limiting liabilty and hopefully avoiding acrimonious post disaster finger pointing. The QLD Police Facebook Page was the Coup providing the easiest accessible and most detailed actual information and data for worried residents and relatives.

by lovethebuzz on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:14 am

30. Haha Marilyn. Trolls rule!! Trolls for the win!! That’s the best piece of trolling I’ve seen. Pointless comments, a tryhard & pathetic guilt trip about Pakistan and Haiti, insults against people who have lost everything. I guess it’s only a disaster if your workmates, 2nd cousins 3rd aunty or whover you apparently know in this town is underwater. Referring to one of the biggest disasters in our history as a mere drizzle. I hope you’ve got a silly, smug look on your face because you’ve earnt it.
    Crikey make a new Award - Troll of the year in crikey comments. Give it to Maz for 2011 as well. A clear winner only days into the year. Now why don’t you leave these dirty, filthy shores of ours and go take up residence in the comfy hills of Pakistan or the outskirts of Port-a-Prince and help them out. You talk about them like they’re more important than flood ravaged Australians so go do your thing over there.

by Arley Moulton on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:16 am

31. . The main bummer for all of us in the greater brisbane area and probably the rest of the east Coast is that there will be shortages of goods and services for months to come and you will soon be completely aggravated by the excuse… Oh can’t do it or Can’t get any … the floods you know. My Daughter has lost every thing except the clothes on her back and for some reason she was wearing rags on the day but after the shock disipates the fact that there has been very little loss of life and extremely good emergency services response differentiates us from out porrer 3rd world cousins.
    My greatest sympathy to those living in student and lower socio economic situations who will still be paying rent to the well heeled slum lords around the university and riverside areas who will insist they do not have insurance to cover the tenants contents and try to bully the tenants into carrying the additional burden of cleaning up their assets.

by lovethebuzz on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:33 am

32. Okay Arley you made your point. My issue was with Marilyn’s comment putting the Aussies down. I did not infer that the Pakistani’s were any less of value than us here in Australia. I only want her to get her facts right and I totally agree, I hope she has a silly smug look on her face and that people who do know her will give her what she deserves. We don’t need people like her here. As for me being a Troll, well look at yourself. You obviously didn’t read how I felt about what she said. She angered me to such a point of frustration and could not sit by idly and let her get away with her crude and obnoxious comments. People in Brisbane and in 75% of this state are very badly affected and my heart is breaking for them. Feel inadequate in not being able to assist.

The news is getting grimmer by the moment if you watch tv and now people are going to find the loved ones who are missing are more than likely dead.

I will not make anymore comments regarding Marilyn, she is her own worst enemy.

by maz.2 on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:14 am

33. Sorry Maz.2. When I was referring to “Maz” being a troll I meant shepherdmarilyn and shepherdmarilyn alone. Certainly not you. I didn’t realise there was another poster called Maz.

by Arley Moulton on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

34. Thank you Arley. If you knew me you would understand that I have been so upset over this. I have a son living in Brisbane and because I live in the far north of Queensland have been absolutely terrified of what could happen. I am glad there are other people besides me who have nothing but anger vented towards shepherdmarilyn.

I am sitting alone watching the tv nonstop and the tears cannot stop flowing. I have experienced cyclones (numerous) in the northern territory and here but at least we have warnings. The people of Grantham are the ones who are going to need so much counselling and support.

The pics coming out of things that happened overnight are appalling and I applaud the tugboat driver for what he did with the boardwalk floating down the Brisbane River. So many brave people out there and all should be given Bravery Awards. The true Aussie spirit is shining brightly.

I hope all residents of Brisbane are able to get back to life at the soonest possible time - and just pray that there will be no more loss of life. We are expecting the worst to come in regard to the deathtoll, and my prayers are with those families who have lost loved ones.

by maz.2 on Jan 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm

35. No worries Maz, thanks for the concern.
    Marilyn come to the streets of Brisbane and see for yourself. Get out from your mums basement and come look at peoples faces who have nothing left but the muddy clothes on their back. Talk to them about what comes next (while telling them to donate to the Pakistan flood relief!!). Come see a city full of citizens panicing and stripping the supermarket shelves bare for no reason other than fear. Come see the 3rd largest city in this country without power and under water. It’s way mor F’n scary when your here for real. trust me
    Come to my streets Marilyn and spread your words of wizdom. Force your guilt trip upon us while people are still dying and missing and see how many people agree with your pointless inappropriate dribble. When someone tells your thier son is still missing you can tell them about Pakistan or Haiti and all the missing sons over there.
    Way to soon for garbage like that. Your a 1st class troll and should be ashamed of yourself. Stop spitting in our faces while the water is still rising and people are still dying.

by Arley Moulton on Jan 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm

36. SHEPHERDMARLIYN, you really are the scum of the earth.I live in brisbane where we have been hit hard with what is happening and it astounds me that you dont think its bad here.Get of you big fat arse and come and look at how bad it is here.Yes i feel for everyone that has had to go through the disasters all around this world but we DO HAVE a disaster here at this time.Its not bad is it,think of all the people who have lost loved ones and of those who are still missing.I think the best thing you could do is pack up your stuff ( including that warped thing you call a brain) and but a one way airline ticket and leave our beautiful county and never bloody return to it you absolute moron.It dickheads like you that ruin this county and i have a sneaky suspicion at where you are from to

by speedyoza on Jan 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

37. SPEEDYOZA: and you would know!

This is the only place-THE ONLY PLACE where comments that SM has had the guts to make, could engender some empathy (along with the inevitable outrage and condemnation).

Let me declare my bias right here: I am Anglo-Pakistani OK?

Yesterday, I was asked by a Coles cashier ‘if I wanted to donate to the floods in Queensland’.
    I told this lass to pass onto her Manager/the State Manager/and the International owners of the Coles group the following: That if Coles were to donate 100th of their profits to the QFAppeal, it would be-at least 10/50/100? times more than if every person passing through the checkout were to donate. (Irrespective of the emotional blackmail being practised by Coles on those in a checkout queue).

I told her that I am declining on the grounds that THOUSANDS have died in the still ongoing flood devastation in Pakistan- yet not one-NOT ONE bloody bank or any other organisation made arrangements to assist with donations for what is a MEGA disaster.
    That little sympathy was expressed in the West for these poor sods.
    ___________

I know what you’re thinking..? (Damn it all, it beats hands down the ‘how are you today?’ trite rubbish!!)

I DO know it was not this kids fault-that is why I kept my voice calm.
    _________________________

MS has the guts to ‘break the ranks’ of the ‘we are all in this together’ gung ho camaraderie.

Good for you Marilyn!! In this atmosphere it was going to get you lynched though!

Let me be clear,-I too can’t watch this without emotion. The loss of the little 4 yo who they were trying to rescue had me in tears.

For Gods sake! Didn’t any of you care that something WAY bigger happened in my mothers country> Don’t you care that HUNDREDS of little ones have drowned. Did the media care?

Is it heresy for someone to dare to point that out??
    ____________________________

The odious and slimy feeding frenzy of the media trying to outdo each other is a f. ucking disgrace.

Anyone want to call ME scum of the earth, because it disgusts me that ALL stations have devoted themselves to the floods and nothing but the floods?

Because they care?? Rubbish!

It is OBSCENE to do this. It is OBSCENE to care so little for global trauma if it is outside of America…or Australia. And it is BLOODY OBSCENE to attack anyone who dares to say so.

Damn bloody right I’m angry! I am so damn sorry for those in Queensland.
    I am even more sorry that those who suffer; those who died in Pakistan, have been largely ignored.
    __________________________

Now criticise me. Go ahead.

I am more than ready and willing to respond to the so-called compassionate posters here.

by Elan on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

38. Yes, right at this moment there are 240 dead in the floods in Brazil.

The North and Central QLD and NSW floods are recieving far less coverage.
    Its just that it is great footage for tv to a see a local city going under and that kind of tv is the opiate for the masses of NIMBY”s we Australian’s generally are.

This flame war against Marylin is also further confirmation of the general contaigion of NIMBY’ syndrome…. all we can see is our own backyard but the compasion is nice change from the outright bigotry that you would usually experience here even if it is limited to our own backyard.

by lovethebuzz on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm

39. This is aimed at the moron Elan,While i have a heap of sympathy for what has happened in the floods in Pakistan.I am not having a go at that. What i am saying is how can the moron shepherdmarilyn state its not a flood here at the moment,75% of our state is under water and you work out how many times you can fit pakistan onside queensland.I understand that maybe not enough help was given to you over there but the way she put it out was nothing was wrong here.Well i can tell you that there is,It is beyond comprehension how bad it is here at the moment.This maybe the only place you can get your view out in the open but get your facts right before you go and open your big fat mouth like sheperdmarliyn did,get your facts right first.My only hope is she gets a one way ticket out of this county and never returns because we dont need idiots like her here. I agree not enough has been done to help you through all that has happened to your country to.Its not our fault that not enough has been done and by your answer at not donating you think it is.As for your comments,you are not even worth replying to but i thought i would anyway,maybe you and sheperdmarilyn should hook up because you both deserve each other moron

by speedyoza on Jan 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

40. (Reuters) - More than $800 million has been donated or pledged to help Pakistan’s flood victims, the foreign minister said in Sunday.

Following is a list of major commitments and contributions for flood victims as of August 22.

(Millions)

USA $102

Saudi Arabia $65.3

United Kingdom $64.76

European Commission $54.15

Australia $31.62

U.N. Central Emergency Response Fund $16.60

Norway $14.81

Japan $14.44

Germany $12.44

Turkey $11.77

Denmark $11.74

Sweden $9.98

China $9.26

As those figures are only current to the end of August 2010 obviously more cash has been donated since. Interesting to see India does not appear on the list. In addition…..

Red Cross Australia from (their web site ) has already reached:

more than 1.8 million people with emergency food aid packages containing sugar, wheat flour, rice, tea, salt, ghee, chickpeas and mixed beans
    more than one million people with blankets, jerry cans, kitchen sets, buckets and stoves to assist them to restart their lives
    503,133 people with safe drinking water (more than one million litres of clean water daily) and sanitation services
    180,456 people with medical treatment or psychosocial support to assist them to deal with the effects of the floods
    105,000 families with emergency shelter kits or tents.
    Another 40,000 families will be helped in the coming months with cash grants to restart businesses, buy seed to sow crops or to rebuild homes.

PLUS…

World Vision’s response
    At least 652,000 people have been assisted in northern and southern Pakistan. World Vision has provided food and emergency items such as tents, cooking sets, gas cylinders, bedding, hygiene kits, mosquito nets and water purification tablets to people in the Khyber Paktunkhwa, Punjab and Sindh provinces.

World Vision has also established Child Friendly Spaces (CFS) and Women and Infant Friendly Spaces (WAIFS), provided medical treatment, conducted hygiene and health promotion sessions, and installed water tanks in communal areas of villages.

Health
    More than 55,000 people have received treatment via 17 medical centres and 5 mobile clinics in the Khyber Paktunkhwa, Punjab and Sindh provinces. A diarrhoeal treatment centre has been set up in Sindh province.

Fifteen Outpatient Therapeutic Programs have been established to treat malnourished children, who have been identified by World Vision health teams and registered in the OTP.

Five Supplementary Feeding Programs have been established in the 3 provinces.

Seven Women and Infant Friendly Spaces (WAIFS) established in KPK, Punjab and Sindh provinces. World Vision was the first organisation in the flood response to set up a Women and Infant Friendly Space of such scope. In these spaces, women have a private, comfortable area in which to interact with other women, receive sessions on health, hygiene, and nutrition for themselves and their infants, learn skills such as sewing and embroidery, and having a private space in which to breastfeed their child.

Water & Sanitation and Hygiene
    Clean drinking water is being provided in IDP camps to approximately 15,000 households per day. Hand pumps and water tanks have been installed and water purification tablets distributed. Toilets and bathing facilities have been constructed. Hygiene committees have been established, with more than 300 hygiene promotion sessions conducted.

Food
    Food distributions have occurred in Khyber Paktunkhwa and Punjab provinces since the start of the emergency response. Food distributions have also been ongoing in Sindh province since 1 September. More than 9,400 metric tonnes of food has been distributed to 96,297 families (652,639 people) across the three provinces.

Protection
    Sixteen Child-Friendly Spaces (across two provinces) have been established providing a safe, fun and structured place for children to attend. Some 2,718 children attend regular sessions at the CFSs. Thirteen CFS committees have been established across the three provinces.

Relief Items
    Non-Food Item kits (such as kitchen sets, hygiene kits, sleeping mats, mosquito nets, tents/shelter kits) distributed to 28,851 households (approximately 200,042 people).

Emergency Response Phase
    During the first three months of the emergency response, World Vision planned to help 300,000 people (40,000 households) in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab and Sindh provinces. Since August, World Vision has assisted at least 652,000 people.

World Vision continues to work closely and in partnership with the United Nations and other non-governmental organisations though the Pakistan Humanitarian Forum to ensure that effective, efficient, and necessary help is given to the children, women, and men affected by the floods.

These stats are readily available on the net and of course many other aid agencies have been involved
    in providing ongoing assistance to Pakistan. This after 100’s of millions of dollars and materials were donated earlier in 2010 to the Haiti earthquake disaster.

If there has been any reluctance to donate to the Pakistan Govt directly, perhaps there is some doubt as to whether the aid will reach those it is intended for.

I post this for information purposes.

by David on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:18 pm

41. both look at the video at the bottom of the link,its is normally a walking area

by speedyoza on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm

42. Now you listen to me PEEDDOZY you asinine little turd gargler!

(Tame stuff mods-after scum of the earth and getting off …er, ’ you’ big fat arse).

Be grateful. I’ve trawled through your ineloquent scrawlings,-and did attempt to get through to that “warped thing you call a brain”.

I failed of course-it isn’t even there; warped or otherwise.

You have NO sympathy for ‘what happened in Pakistan’. NONE. You simply use that as an entré to further abuse.

Take a look at your vitriol again-I mean if you can decipher it. Criticise others when you can do so from a reasonable moral standpoint. What is actually there?:

Lousy grammar (that’s grammar…not Grandma you understand..), an obvious struggle with the English language in your zeal to attack.

You are the epitome (that’s epitome not Epiphany) of a redneck. Unless you get what you want; when you want, you will denigrate those who don’t give it to you.

You do realise that you do none of your fellow Queenslander’s a favour don’t you?

I doubt they will want to be associated with someone who has a brain about the size of a pimple on the back of a bee’s knee!

I remain disgusted at the media gorging. I remain disgusted NOT just at the callousness to those in Pakistan who have suffered and died,-but specifically, at the vilification of someone who had the damned guts to point out the double standard; the hypocrisy!

BY COMPARISON this is negligible-BY COMPARISON. Comprendé?????

I doubt that many people know, let alone remember that nearly three quarters of a million ( MILLION) Bengali’s lost their lives in the floods in Bangladesh, in the 1990’s).

I wish this had not happened in Queensland, but I will not genuflect at the altar of suffering in the West is the only true suffering.

Look forward to chatting with you DOZY. You won’t find me an easy target.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrsoul.

…………..and look on the bright side. Crikey will let you get away with your horseshite.

That’s democracy,…………or demockerazy to you.

by Elan on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm

43. Ahhhhh! DAVY lad, I wondered when you would turn up.

TRY to get your head around this:

I am talking about magnitude and attitude………….

Got it??

by Elan on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm

44. Elan I tried to be kind and resonable, but alas you are not worth it. Go fry.

by David on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:55 pm

45. Elan I tried to be kind and resonable, but alas you are not worth it. Go fry.”

Liar! liar! pants on…

You know it; I know it.

So go…sauté.

by Elan on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm

46. [Kind and reasonable was NOT what motivated you to put up your reams of information.

You know it; I know it.]…

I know you are one sick —  —  —  — -

by David on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm

47. you can all have your say because i dont really give a flying shit what you say,i know that sheperdmarilyn and elan are red neck wankers and if you were here elan you would see it bad,just like where you are now wanker.

To “wanker” david,you tell me where shepard idiot tried to be reasonable,i cant see it and look at the comments having a go at her,in all honesty,none of you are worth it and my last comment was, i reckon i know where she is from,probably your usual whinging pom.

In all honesty its pretty bad around the whole world with what has happned everywhere but its all us humans fault for stuffing up the ozone layer

by speedyoza on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:39 pm

48. See what I mean?

DOZY has such a scant grasp of reality that even you are designated a wanker Wee Daisy! (AND you get your title in quotes no less!! So you are a special kind of wanker I suppose!).

I just think you are a —  — - — - -, and furthermore you are —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  — -!! And-AND — - —  —  —  — - — . Not only that but —  —  —  — - ! — - -.

By gads!! De’ol fur is flyin’ now!!
    _____________________________

DOZY I suspect you are cross-eyed with the kind of teeth that allow you to eat a tomato,-through a tennis racket!

Look forward to hearin’ from you two Tweedles.

At least it keeps you from attacking those who don’t deserve it.

by Elan on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm

49. Um speedy, care to remind me where I ever mentioned you or Marilyn. It is only the sicko Elan I took to task so lighten up. Keep on the other ones case, save me doing it.

by David on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm

50. i owe you an apology david,i am sorry for involving you and i mistook what you wrote and i am sorry for that.I was so pissed off at what elan wrote and didnt took what you wrote in the wrong way so i am very sorry for that.I will never be sorry for what i said to elan as he isnt even here so he has no idea how bad it is as its very disheartening here

by speedyoza on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm