Pink bits: the absurd world of gendered consumer products

Last week I blogged at The Stump about Hummingbird Blonde Lager, National Distilleries’ new beer “for the girls to enjoy”. It comes in a 250ml bottle for little girly hands and little girly stomachs, and is flavoured with “citrus” (which one? Who knows) to get rid of that nasty beer taste.

“Australian women drink over 44 million cases of beer a year but there wasn’t one beer made especially for them,” said the pitch from National Distilleries.

Um, perhaps women already believe beer is made for them.

Women have historically expressed their desire to be treated with the same respect accorded to men by using the same consumer products. Women wearing trousers and riding bicycles were viciously ridiculed in the 19th century; in 1897, Cambridge University male undergraduates protested the admission of women as full university members by hanging an effigy of a female cyclist.

But marketers have never abandoned the idea that men and women require their own ‘special’ products. Products directed at men tend to offer to make them physically, sexually and economically more powerful. Meanwhile, products for women are often pitched as ‘treats’ and emphasise the buyers’ appearance.

Last year, I received an email from a publicist with the subject line: “Do you have the balls to try new Mother?” I politely replied, “Being a woman I don’t have balls, but I would be very curious to try your product.”

The PR’s response? “Heheh it was a bit cheeky wasn’t it?”

Cheeky? Dull-witted. Sexist. The blurb on the 500ml can itself advises it’s best drunk “freeze your nuts off cold”, adding: “When a mate turns up with a wussy-sized can, you can raise your MOTHER up and proudly say ‘did yours come with a man-bag?’”

Needless to say, I’m drinking a can of the stuff right now with my handbag right next to me, and in no fear of freezing my nonexistent nuts off.

Women’s ‘special’ consumer products are often tinted pink and advertised with cuddly names and breathy female voiceovers. I’m not talking about tampons, bras or other products used exclusively by women. These are things like razors, cars and mobile phones. The implication is that women are intimidated by technology unless it’s smaller, rounder, cuter and pinker. Y’know. Like a baby.

Mobile phones are repeat offenders, from Motorola’s pink Razr (with matching pink Bluetooth headset!) to mirrored phones so you can check your lipstick. Possibly the most embarrassing was Alcatel’s ELLE-branded Glamphone, which was worn like a necklace in the ads.

The female-run tech blog Popgadget often comes across the stupidest stuff. There’s a fully functioning mechanical toolbox and car kit in Barbie-pink, iPoppers earphones featuring sparkly jewels and cute teddy bears, and the Miss Army Knife (geddit?), which includes a needle and thread, perfume bottle and nail file. Most surreally of all is the Pink Ice Scraper and Furry Mitt for cleaning your car windscreen on frosty mornings.

The scraper even has a built-in mirror… because all women like to look at themselves.

Cars “for the girls” are also markedly different to other cars. Even though women regularly take monstrous 4WDs on school runs, the ads still overwhelmingly show them being driven boldly through wilderness… by men. Toyota even presents itself as the bold frontline defence against feminisation.

By contrast, women in car ads tend to pootle around town, absent-mindedly leaving their chihuahuas on the roof in pink handbags or having Sex and the City-worthy o-gasms. The Honda Jazz commercials actually objectify women as cars, then have other sleazebag cars leer at them, both here and in London.

We really need to call advertisers on the absurdity of their sexism. Fortunately, the delightful Sarah Haskins from online TV show infoMania does just this. My personal favourite is her segment on yoghurt, the official food of women. And with brand names including Formé (no fat) and Elivaé (with “digestive cultures”), it’s a product category that almost satirises itself.

Jim Sutherland
    Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Advertising is about increasing sales. By turning an inaminate object like a spanner / phone into a gender based object by painting it pink you increase your market.
    Also there is a legitimate difference in the product - I know my daughter would buy the pink toolkit in preference to the boring chrome set - its not a question of sexism, her personal choice is for brightly coloured consumer items where as I find the bright colours offputing.

John Molloy
    Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

This looks like something worthy of study at the Ponds institute. Also, while on the subject, why do men need their own skincare product, Nivea? Good luck with that. I am in favour of pink razors for women. Saves me a lot of pain if I confuse mine with hers. My wife’s car is a medium hatchback, black. Mine small, silver. A previous car written off while parked. A woman in a four wheel drive hit the go pedal instead of the stop one and had a four car accident, all cars other than hers being parked. My present car was repaired after a woman turned right in my path. Am I attracting the wrong sort of women? Ramble on…..

SBH
    Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget Nutri-grain Mel, in their current blurb they note that “boys need protein” so what do girls need? That’s leaving aside their hideous deification of the only boy child as the appropriate object of a mothers love.

Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I guess you won’t be buying Barbie Camper ‘non stop glamour’ as per tv advert recently. Advertised on Mornings Ch9 last Sunday if memory serves while I was waiting for political shows. I got to thinking is this GFC fallout or what? Hanging out in camper vans. But I googled a youtube just now and it’s got provenance back to 1971. The 2009 version is complete with sister ‘Skipper’ and another fashionable sibling brat. Those Americans and their funny names. Maybe Falcon is in there hiding in the seat?

meski
    Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I don’t like the taste of beer (so deport me as unAustralian) but can’t imagine what making it citrus flavoured would do. Blame Apple for the colour theming idea, but the pink bit is a bit cringe-worthy.

james mcdonald
    Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

The sad thing is that advertising science is pretty much empirically based, so while individual campaigns may miss their targets, overall trends do not miss. And the overall trend may have less to do with s-xism than with the increasing neotenisation (i.e. the tendency never to fully mature into adults) of urban society.

Lucy
    Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

There is also that ad in which a couple discusses the merits of a 4WD: he (being a bloke) loves its mad performance specs, whereas she claims to love it for its MP3 player. Cos chicks are incapable of appreciating a car on its merits - they just dig shiny frippery.

I received an email from Borders with Mothers Day gift suggestions: a schmaltzy Ronan Keating CD, the latest Jodi Piccoult, cookbooks, something called How to Love, and the DVD of Marley and Me. Women’s gifts, you see; there is no chance that a mother would possibly want to read philosophy, or economics or politics or even real literature.

And manscaping products are gendered the other way: tough products for blokes. Bold colours or black packaging, strong citrus scent. Often with a utilitarian hook: it’s not just a shampoo, it’s anti-dandruff. Which is practically medicinal and therefore nobody will think you are, you know. Effeminate.

notmensa
    Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Citrus-flavoured wheat beer is great - beer shelves in Germany usually have a selection of flavours. The Barvarian Beer Cafe here does a fresh peach one.

As for the raft of new products, Jim’s got it right. Most new products (or variations on existing ones) are launched after substantial market testing - focus groups, product trials, etc. Either there are lots of people who like this stuff, or lots of people lying to market researchers.

SBH
    Posted Tuesday, 20 October 2009 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

I don’t think I’d over stress the scientific nature of marketing notmensa.

AR
    Posted Wednesday, 21 October 2009 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Does the Hummingbird girly-beer come cheaper due to their lower pay..? jes askin’

davkel
    Posted Wednesday, 21 October 2009 at 9:45 am | Permalink

How good is that Sarah Haskins stuff?! It’s always so reassuring to see Americans use irony!

Julian Cram
    Posted Wednesday, 21 October 2009 at 11:44 am | Permalink

A marketeers job is to try to sell you crap you don’t need in a package which attracts you.

I’m willing to bet my right nut that for all your blustering, you’ve got at least a hair dryer, one lipstick, and more than one pair of shoes - in other words - shit you don’t need.

The problem is now everyone, even those such as yourself who think they’re above marketing tricks, has shit they don’t need. So marketeers need to think of new ways to sell us new shit we don’t need, and they do it by making men think women like men to look pretty, and painting shit pink.

The reason they do this is because it works.

..fred
    Posted Wednesday, 21 October 2009 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

advertising works for ‘most’ of the people ‘most’ of the time
    its entire oeuvre is seeking the lowest common denominator
    hence, sex and gender

you want to get rid of gendered or sexist advertising?
    …get rid of advertising!

(which i fully support by the way, that wasn’t just an off the cuff statement)

Posted Wednesday, 21 October 2009 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Hey Julian, no need to bet your nut – you’ll need it if Mother freezes the other one off!

I just remembered that my hairdryer is a little, snub-nosed silver thing called the Sunbeam “Pistol Airo”. I think it’s meant to evoke some Wild West gunslinger vibe. It came in a box with “Pistol Airo… The Man’s Dryer” emblazoned on the side.

My aunt, who’d bought me the dryer for Christmas, was so embarrassed when I pointed this out – “Oh, I’m so sorry, I didn’t know it was for men! I thought it was a nice small one for travelling!”

mike bazan
    Posted Wednesday, 21 October 2009 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

As the sole male in a house of 5 I can bear witness to the effectiveness of products marketed at women. I don’t know if it’s sexist or not but for sure it’s a fact that my girls would rather pay twice as much for pink girly razors then use my sensible and cheaper blue (for boys?) gillettes. They like the cordial vodka drinks while I drink beer. They buy dolly, cosmo, womens day etc while i read the sports section of the local rag. They buy cute mobile phones & apple ipods while i get the one thats does what i want for the cheapest price. Their car of choice is something like a micra or mirage (i suspect because it’s easier to reverse) while i drive a wagon. Whether they’ve been influenced by marketing or it’s the marketers responding to a need is a question i can’t answer - and as long as they leave my beer alone i don’t care either.

Pete WN
    Posted Wednesday, 21 October 2009 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Whether they’ve been influenced by marketing or it’s the marketers responding to a need is a question i can’t answer”

I think its a little from column A and column B. Most people are savvy enough to know when something is complete crap (iSnack 2.0 anyone?). The rest of the time its somewhere in between.

laurajcarroll
    Posted Thursday, 22 October 2009 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Great post, Mel. I just saw a tampon ad which was , so where gendered advertising is redundant advertisers are moving on to sexualisation, like they’re more or less identical.

I have never quite understood why making a pink & sparkly version of the same product broadens the market. Surely it just constructs a smaller subset of the full and general market, because of course the flip side of the pink commodity is that most men would much rather go without than buy any object explicitly marketed to women.

laurajcarroll
    Posted Thursday, 22 October 2009 at 9:49 am | Permalink

HTML fail. That’s what I get for following the Crikey tag instructions instead of using the normal ones.